Monday, April 18, 2005

Blind Blind Bad Boy

It is a dangerous move when you cross that line from being professional service provider to being a friend. Perhaps you can be both but you have to be careful, at least that is what and how I feel. I feel you have to be careful because too often the consumers are so desperate for services and have been force to manipulate the system for so long to just survive you can never tell when the consumer is being genuine or just shaping you to provide the services they need at` the point in time. When I got on the train to come home to night there was this blind guy sitting opposite from me have an a major conversation with his companion. I recognized him instantly as a consumer I had worked closely with n another life when i was a housing coordinator at local independent living center. This guy is trouble with a capital “T”. He is blind, uses a cane for mobility an seems to always be in some form of trauma: usually it is displaced housing or no housing. He is alway with a new women either his own or a “best” friends soon to be an X-best friend. He is such a little weasel that the women just sort of fall for him. Don't ask me why it just happens that way. He is a 'bad boy” blind bad boy.

I sat there for a long while debating as to whether to get involved with him, to get wrapped up in his current trauma—in the end I did and well, I told him to call me tomorrow at my office and I would do some calling round to see if we could find him a place. He has till May 1st and should be enough lead time to get him something. I am sure I'll be sorry but what could I do? Besides he is always guaranteed to provide an interesting time.

No comments: