Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Building of Treasure



The Struve building is located one block North of my building and directly East of the Dental Center. I think the building itself is cool, by design . I also think the building is mysterious. When I take the train into work I usually get off at the Dental Center and I pass the Struve as I power up to my building. As I pass the Struve, I pass the rear of the building. They are downloading or uploading, trucks in the morning air. Usually, it’s video games: arcade type machines, juke boxes, that kind of stuff. I thought it was pretty interesting. The manual chair I use at work has pneumatic tires and I have many times toyed with bringing in to work an air compressor, a canned of compressed air or something to keep my tires inflated.

This was last summer and I had been pushing on squishy tires for a couple of weeks. Since I don’t take my chair home on the weekends I never get round to filling the tires up. Then on Monday morning when I jump into my Boing I am still on squishy tires. So, I remember they are always assembling things at the Struve—they gotta have compressor.

This was last summer, it was hot out side as I rolled up the Struve but soon as I got in I was blanketed with cool refrigerated air. The bright outside sunlight was replaced by darkness lit by neon lights from game machines. They assemble the video games in the back there. I figured they would have a compressor There are also rows of vending machines of one sort or another. There is a clerk’s station with a window in the main hall an a small branch of offices brakes on in another direction, these seem to be the “administration” offices: accounting, sales and delivery. The whole experience entering the building is like gliding back in time. The women sitting at the desk, chewing gum, is doing her nails waiting for the phone to ring. It would have been perfect if she had had one of those 1940’s WWII do’s. I tell her I need air, she calls me “Honey”. I knew she would and says go in the back and talk to Hank he’ll fix you up. I travel further father down the hall and enter into some sort of a show room. In this show room were brand new video games just exactly like I would find at any video palace, plugged in lit up and ready to play. Then I found out the best part: they are free. I roll up to a pin ball machine look it over, pull back the knob and let the silver ball sail and the next thing I know I am being the “wizard”. I play a couple of games then feel a little nervous and go back and ask Wanda if it’ OK to play the machines. She says, “Sure, honey. That’s why they ar here. We gott make sure they work right, go ahead, knock yourself out. I played the remainder of my lunch hour with visions of returning maybe daily to play the new machines. They did have an air compressor and I got my tires pumped up and a guarantee that they will pump me up again when I need it.

I think I have gone back maybe three times, specifically to play the games. I don’t know why I don’t go back more. I should. I don’t know how long the Struve will be there. I think a long time but one can never till the way building is happening round this town. Maybe this summer I play more.

No comments: