Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Blinking Light Frustration (BLF)


Answer the phone


My partner and I sit way in the back of our office complex—it’s a great place for operators. Physically isolated and most of the time is quiet. We take our phone call and quietly and efficiently dispatch our nuggets of information. Our office complex is actually made up of two offices--Access Utah Network is my organization and we share the office space Governor’s Council (GC). We cover phones for GC time to time. There are times when you see a blinking green is going off and you feel compelled to answer it. More then one I have been yelled at because it was actually someone’s call on “hold”. It’s not a big deal to me but sure seems like it is for them. I can understand to a point when this happens to me. I am working a call and have to place the caller on “hold” and answer another phone or someone walking in to my office. I hear someone in the office pick up my call and I yell, “ I’m working that call” or “that’s my call!!” I guess I do get defensive about interlopers messing with my call or calls I time have spent a lot of time cultivating. But, I would rather risk that then have people on “perpetual hold” and thinking we are typical State flakes.

So lighten up we error and pick up one of your blinking lights by mistake. Sometimes it gets busy and your knee jerk reaction is to pick up the next blinking light and it’s hard to discern if it’s a fast or slow blink.

No comments: