Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Just Another Long Day

I left the house this morning at 6:30 a. m. I had hopes of getting to the giant discount house and get some gas pumped before I drove into work. Yes, I drove the van in today. I have the Murray High School DSPD Information Fair. This is an OK info fair being in the neighborhood makes the affair easy to do and accrue four hours of comp-time. It’s not late hours just long hours. The trick to getting assistance to help purchasing gas at Sams Club is to let them know you are out there. Why do I needs assistance? Well, with my limited hand function I cannot swipe the credit card in the gas machine well enough for the machine to read the card. I just cannot get the card to work. So, I need someone to swipe it for me, so it seems to me that if I have to get an employee to swipe the credit card then I might as well have that employee pump the gas too. At 6:30 a.m. it’s difficult to find bodies round the super store to get to do the job. I ended up driving my van over to the front door and grabbed staff as they showed up for work.
ME: Hi can I get you to pump me some gas? I am in a wheelchair.
Store kid: Yeah, I’ll get gas guy to come out. He should be here at 7:00.(It was 6:45am)

No one had showed up by 7:15 a.m. I was getting a little worried but I stuck it out. I ended up driving up to the front door again. I got hold of “Hank”

Me: I have been waiting for the gas guy to pump my gas.
I really need to get the gas and get going.

Hank: OK. No problem I’ll send him out.

So I drive back out to the gas island, and wit for ten more minutes and the first kid comes out and says.

Gads Kid: (laughs) Bummer. I guess the regular gas guy is not coming in today.
So I waited about an hour. I knew it was going to take a while but I did not think it would take that long. I should know by now. I am just glad I was able to get someone to pump the gas. A little thing like pumping gas can take so much effort for some and so little for others. So I am set with gas for the next two weeks—now I just have to get through the day.

No comments: