Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Boise River






This is the Boise River just South of Municipal Park where we held our recent reunion. The river is actually quite a bit larger then I had remembered. The river is not necessarily deep but shallowly wide. The river is deep enough though to facilitate inner tube traffic. I do not know when the first person first realized they could float this body of water and take advantage of the slow( but swift at times) current. The river’s temperature by July is warm enough to sit in tube the length of the river run and not emerge with blue butt and most case the water acts as a refreshing alternative to the heat of the Summer’s sun.

I have enjoyed this float numerous times both as an able bodied person and as a person with a disability. So, the river is not terse enough to risk folks with disabilities. There are rapids, fast water but shallow and fast: a thrill. There are or were three small dams across the river creating small but interesting water falls. These falls could be dangerous but have never been for me, before or after my accident. The only issue since my accident has been getting me out of the river once we reach the end of the float, usually at Anne Morrison Park. A park with gentle sloping banks snugging right down to the river's edge. Floating the river since the accident floating has caused much planning, dropping me off then taking the wheelchair to the end of the float to have something to put me in and I need a crew to “beach” me at least two. Then, forty years ago, I was thin and I bet at least a hundred pounds lighter. I did not float the river this time but maybe someday I will again.

The Boise River has become a Boise Icon. The river was a great, cheap way to enjoy a hot lazy summer afternoon. We just had to have someone, usually parents, drop us off at Barber Bridge and someone to pick-us at the end. Floating the river became locally famous and of course county father's could not stand the idea of people enjoying this experience for free! So they did it, the County father put a charge to enter the river! Unbelievable. Now there are actual river cops. Cops patrolling the river on jet-skis—making sure that no one goes down the river who has not paid the price. I just cannot stand it.
The Boise River is surrounded by large broad leafed trees which have been there for decades. Huge trees fallen by storms and age and lay in the river blocking water and producing an incredible aroma which I will always tie to the Boise and an illustrious past I have had with this beautiful body of water. If you ever get a chance to float this river , do so and you will have an incredible experience.

I want to thank Paul, my brother , for all the work he did on the past Smith Family Reunion. He did an incredible job and I will always be proud to call him brother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There isn't a fee to float the river, but there is a fee if you want to leave your car parked at Barber Park while you float. The cops on the river are supposed to be there for safety...yeah, right! So glad that you were able to visit and hope that you'll be able to float next time you're here.