Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Like A Fire Cracker



It never fails if I leave my camera out of my back pack I miss a great image which would have made a great addition on my blog. Today is Pioneer Day, sort f like Utah's Founder's Day. A State holiday and a day off for many Utahans, me included. Pioneer Day is the day when old Brigham Young came over the mountains and looked on the waste of the Salt Flats and declared, “This is the place”. Boy what a let down for those poor prairie surfers but the just had to choke it in and get on with their lives.

If you're not working and not taking in any of the parades, breakfasts or other celebrations there's not much left to do. Most of the fireworks have been banned since the summer has been so hot and dry. Gabe brought back a bunch of “illegals” but because of the ban and strict enforcement the black cats and bottle rockets are just sitting in my drawer. We tried shooting off some on the Fourth but got paranoid when the neighbors started getting upset. I guess we well not get a better chance till New years. So, I ran to the market a hour or so ago to pick up some scripts for Dianne and to get out of the house a little. When I returned to the van after doing the recreational shopping I had a malfunction with my wheelchair lift requiring that I was going to have to beg a stranger, passerby to to fix a simple problem which would allow me to get on my way. I noticed a tall skinny guy in a baseball hat—if I had my camera I would have take a picture of him. He even walked past me at one point but I was not ready to start begging for help at this point. Then I noticed the guy was either walking up to customers or stopping or stopping them and asking them for a dollar, indicating that his gas tank was empty and he needed just enough money to get home. I noticed a couple in front of me s and grabbed the guy asking for his help. He looked like another state worker, dressed down for the day and doing some shopping for a pic nic or something. He was glad to help and launched into a story about guy at work with a special needs child who, also had a fan like mine, and this guy understood everyone needed help from time to time It was during the repair of th van the baseball capped kid stopped and put the touch in my “good Samaritan.” . The Samaritan brushed the baseball cap of like a fly and continued to assist my lift repair. The Baseball cap walked on to his net prey not even trying to put the touch on me. I probably would have given him a buck or two. I call giving money to beggars my Karma charger. No big deal to me. If I had had my camera I would have asked for his image first though. I figure this would let him earn his “gas”money. He did not ask though. He probably had some form of line he would not cross and taking money from crips was it. Besides since the Good Samaritan did assist this fellow it would be awkward then if I stepped up and did. I hate making my Samaritans look bad.


No comments: