Thursday, July 19, 2007

Papers Please!

This is the document I hd to get from the Visitor's Center so I could enter the base proper.



I just got back from Ogden and more specifically Hill Air Base where I lectured base medical folk and parents of kids with disabilities about my program and other State wide supports and programs for families with “special needs kids”. I found these to be intelligent people with almost no idea of supports and systems in the community for their needs.

Entering military reservation of any kind has always been a strange in not frightening experience for me. I think because I always think I am guilty of something even if I am not. Today, I drove onto the base and stopped at the guard shack where the military guys pass you through. I was supposed to meet my host but she was not there. The no none sense guy looked me over “ cold as death” and direct me forward to a space where I could turn my van round and then enter again this time taking a special turn off which is a “Visitor Center” where I “could” stay until my “ host” came to collect me. I had told her when I was leaving Salt Lake so she would know when I should be coming in and be there waiting for me, and she was. I had worked with person five of eight years ago and I was glad to see her again and get re-acquainted. My meeting started with this group started at 500 and I got out of there and was on the way home by 700 pm, a long day for the old guy.


No comments: