Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th



I was surprised and a little pissed when I got to the pool yesterday and found the pool was not accessible by which I mean, there was not way for to physically get into the pool except by falling out of my chair. Now, I can fall out of my chair real well. Why this surprised me so much is because I sat for a number of years on the Murray City Accessibility board and one of the projects I was fairly vocal on was the building of the new pools. I know we talked at length on the need for some sort of lift to swimmers with disabilities into and out of the pool! I know as well, the city planner eventually chose a long ramp descending into the pool. I accepted this choice with the stipulation that the city also provide a wheeled chair which could be rolled down the ramp into the pool.

I am chagrined to report that yesterdays trip to the pool was my first time using the pool since I had worked on this project. I accepted that our input was taken and used. Obviously our input was not. So, I dropped out of the chair and then fell off the edge into the pool and treaded water for the next our or so. Oh I really enjoyed my self and really got a physical work out. I swam and swam, dodged and avoided a host of little kids and got lot of sun. Dianne and I finally decided we had had enough of sun and fun an decided to get out . In the old days I just pulled my self out of the pool and had my wheelchair brought over to me and I crawled into my wheelchair and got on my way. Not now however. I am old and lot bigger then my poor old arms just cannot drag me in to my chair anymore. Dianne was great and soon had rounded up a beach crew three or four swim volunteers and a staff person and soon I was lugged back into my wheelchair. I was worn out. I forgot how much swimming taxed my body, I think the sun and the chemicals in the water also too it toll on me. I was exhausted the reminder of the day. But I am going to make changes at the Murray Pool.

Shelle called last night to let me know she had a hard time reaching me by cell phone. In the course of the call she informed me she was pregnant!! Dianne and I were ecstatic. Every once in a while you get a genuine piece of information which changes your life and Shelle's call was one such call. Usually a late call with unexpected information i s bad news but not this information. We were delighted and look forward to this new addition to our family with great excitement. One of the reasons I was so surprised was Shelle has been some what determined not to jump into the child mode and she did not do so consciously but has taken on the challenge with great vigor and excitement. Thanks Shelle We love you.

No comments: