Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Better Sweet


Today was the monthly DRAC meeting the leaders tried to Jazz the meeting up little bit I noticed on the announcement by referencing the meeting as a “planning” meeting. That's okay I really applaud this organizations attempt to brand itself like a business/professional organization. I must admit that I think they're doing a very good. I'm impressed at the real feeling of Democratic tools being used. The meetings held Midtown Salt Lake at the Housing Authority of Salt Lake County. I really appreciate them using this building because the authority is on an accessible bus line and that means a lot to me plus they serve a lunch, humble but sustainable. Another thing I really like about using this Housing Authority that is just down the street from where I used to work, before I went to work with the State. So, to a small degree this area is one of my old stomping grounds.

As I mentioned, the Housing Authority is just a half a block down from the independent living center. I used to get off the bus right in the middle of the block (and this is when I was still pushing a wheelchair) cross the street and then wait anywhere from one how hour to an hour depending on when I got to the center. For a host of reasons that I don't want to go into here we did not have keys to the office so I had to figure out something to do until someone with a key showed up to open up the center. Bad Ass Coffee had recently opened so I had a place to go where I could select wait. Bad Ass Coffee was a specialty coffee shop. The specialty being Hawaiian coffee. Now, at the time I was pretty much a coffee novice. When I drank coffee I drank what was ever in the pot wherever I was at. However, as much as I tried I never developed a liking for Hawaiian coffee. Hawaiian coffee is just too bitter. First couple weeks I spent at the coffee shop from about 630 to 7:30 AM I tried again and again to down large cups of this Hawaiian coffee. Finally I discovered lattes, which are sweet , dark and came in a coffee cup.


I enjoyed my time at Bad Ass Coffee. At that time in the morning I was the only person beside staff, usually in the shop. There was a clientele that came in grabbed a cup of coffee on the run but I pretty much had the whole back section of the building to myself. In my booth I spread out my writing sometimes some of my artwork and toiled for an hour before my office would open . This was a great time that was all mine. I became a fixture at the facility I became a bad ass even though I am not. I thought it fun to invite other coffee drinkers to join me at the coffee shop especially if it was the first time and watch them choke down Hawaiian coffee. I was pleased to see the shop still in business as I got off the bus and passed through Bad Ass's driveway on the way to work. I cannot believe it's been 20 years since I would stop there in the mornings for bad coffee. I almost stopped to order a cup of Java to go but could not see subjecting myself to bitter coffee at 1 o'clock in the afternoon.



No comments: