Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Minutia

The Greatest Showman Poster 3
Pay attention to the minutia of life. This is a lesson I feel I have been given over and over again in my life and that for some reason I have a most difficult time in learning. I'm trying to change that. I'm trying to focus on some of the minutia in my life. The lesson that I am getting currently is through the lady who has entered my life who has most assuredly has early-onset Alzheimer's disease.

Her name is Kate and I wrote about her earlier this week she is the one I went to Star Wars with on New Year's Day. She is in her mid-80s style focused, she has a vehicle which she drives but seems to be getting cloudy probably more and more now that I have noticed but to her self-report she's beginning to slip. I'm pleased that she does not seem more frightened than she is with her new diagnosis. I believe Kate is handling her diagnosis quite well. She is still actually, in the diagnostic process, this I fear is going to very much aware her out. She told me today that she would be having to go back for an MRI and other imaging processes plus more intervention with either a psychologist or I believe more succinctly a psychiatrist that will begin interviewing her. Kate is having this professional intervention done at the local University Hospital which is actually across the valley from where we live. I feel it would be an arduous task for me, if I still had a drivers license and drove my van up to the University Hospital to the neurosciences clinic. I can't imagine making the drive 80+ years of age. Kate has a friend that is going with her to these appointments which I'm glad. Kate's support person is another senior women. I believe her name is Barbara and Barbara seems a strong person. I believe she will do Kate well.

I visited with Kate today in the common area. We talked about our adventure at the theater and I apologized that the movie we went to was so loud and busy but Kate did not seem to mind she said. She was happy for the distraction. I told Kate I thought we should have gone to a movie called The Greatest Show , a true accounting of the start of PT Barnum the great showman. She seemed interested and I suggested that we should take that show in. I told her I would check on showtimes and perhaps we could make the movie on Friday. On Friday she has a job. I'm so impressed. So if we take in a movie it would have to be in the early part of the day. I have checked on times now there is a showing, the first showing of this movie will be at 1145 Friday morning so this would be entirely doable. I have not told her yet but will do so tomorrow.


I'm not sure how wise this new behavior I'm exhibiting but it's kind of fun knowing that in some way I may be providing a person with the last full measure of enjoyment in their life before their memory begins taking away. Thinking this through a level I am thinking now that perhaps the intensity of the newest Star Trek film was what the doctor ordered because believe me with as much intense action is that show provided scope take a while erase that from Kate's memory bank. 

So I'm being given the opportunity to intervene and be part of this person's life I do not know why but for some reason I feel I need to pay attention to this bit of minutia happening in my life right now.

No comments: