Saturday, January 20, 2018

Saturdays Snow


Snow fell during the night , alot of snow. I would say 11 to 12 inches . Local news media is ecstatic the local ski industry has been saved. I think it snowed all night,this was a nice snowfall to watch; but now I have the other reality to deal with: snow on the ground. Since the snow started falling on Friday night very little snow removal has taken place. Luckily, I have everything I need from the market. I could've gone out before the storm and picked up a few things, but really I didn't need to. I have enough to get through the weekend. Still, like not wanting something until that something is taken away I starting to think both things I might need. This morning I thought about heading out, going to the market, going to a movie or even going over to the coffee shop. But I talked myself out of that and instead washed clothes.

The apartments laundry is in the front of the building. As I passed the sitting area a group of the residents had gathered. A lot of the folk had their little rat dogs in tow. The little mutts cowered and shivered as they mournfully looked out at the snow each on the front walk knowing they're going to have to go out and put their little butts on the white stuff when they do their business. The talk this morning concerned snow removal or more precisely the lack of snow removal. Usually, the apartment contract with some pretty aggressive snow removal types to keep the facility free of snow. However, the storm happened the weekend and there was no one with any authority to call in snow removal folk. This is when I realized if I to go anywhere on bus I would have to get to the bus stop. There is a sidewalk outside my back door, where the back door of this building leads to a gate which I open remotely as I approach. On the other side of the gate, conveniently is a UTA bus stop. Because we are at the end of the block we are not far from the intersection across Redwood road or 4800 S. Last year when it snowed the sidewalk from my back door to the bus stop got little attention. The snowplows cleaned the driveway to the apartments but the guy plowing left all the snow in front of the curb cut. The guy also just did a lackadaisical job of clearing the sidewalk. He made several trips down the length of the sidewalk clearing a path the width of the snow shovel, too narrow for a power chair. I had to grouse to management and that fixed the problem. Because this storm was a weekend storm there is no management to grouse so I groused to the resident assistant. I doubted this would do any good went through the motions. Then a while later while I was going back and forth washing and drying my clothes I noticed one lone individual cleaning the walkway. This guy did a great job and I noticed he also cleaned the walk all the way to the gate and to the bus stop.


I looked up and down the street and the sidewalks were covered with snow quickly freezing the ice. However, I could get to the bus stop and with a little effort into the coffee shop across the street going south. More snow is called for the first of the week and next week as well. I don't know that the storms will be as big a snow maker is this one was but I'll be in the contact city governments by then and grouse about cleaning off sidewalks. I've been pondering bus routes I can access from the 217 which I have good access to. Should be able to go anywhere I want. Especially up to the corner across the street and the 217 southbound bus stop which will get me to the movies.

No comments: