Monday, January 22, 2018

Dinner

Image may contain: food and indoor



Just a note. I had written this complete blog posting yesterday but at the last moment, I don't know what happened, I lost the whole post. It's Tuesday, 23 January and I'm doing a report or redo or rewrite sorry to be redundant redundant.

I made meatloaf patties today. Couple weeks ago by shopping I came across three or 4 pounds of hamburger at the quick sale section of the meat counter. I know many people have a problem buying reduced price meat for quick sale's but for me it's a great deal. Call it an excuse or rationalization but there is a golden space of time that meat passes from its prime time usage where it arches into the sublime for a few short days before the meat starts getting “funny”. Granted one has to be careful and realize purchasing any “fresh” food is a crapshoot at best. Anyway, 3 pounds of hamburger I threw in a freezer and last Friday before the oncoming storm of snow and frigid temperatures I took a pound out to thaw. I wasn't sure what I would use the hamburger for maybe just burgers I enjoyed the burgers I made last week making the panties part of my diet routine. True they were not necessarily lean hamburger but I believe they're close enough and it's good to have something to pop out of the refrigerator and eat at a moments notice when one needs.

I don't know if it was coming home some point last week and wishing I could smell something cooking. I started thinking of afternoons bolting in the house running home across the fields from the bus stop and being blasted with the odor roast broiling away in the oven or sizzling on the stove or best of all the savory robust aroma of a meatloaf. I loved my mother's meatloaf probably more than any other meat dish we have on a regular basis. I loved roast and I loved steak and we had a lot of both comparatively speaking after all we did live on a farm and we raised our own beef we had lots of protein. But meatloaf was something magic (not that the other pieces of meat cooking wasn't but it wasn't magic like meatloaf). Meatloaf had to be fashioned from ingredients purposely together just so, one has to take time to process the onion, green pepper, chives if you use them and crushed the bread up for the binding. My mom would make huge meatloaf's that would last a week showing up in leftover dinners and school cold lunches. My favorite cold lunch was potato chips crushed on top of the meatloaf under the bread. I love the way meatloaf cooking smells there is no other smell quite like meatloaf cooking.

I was going to make a meatloaf I think meatloaf certainly would've been easier. Because of my disability (this may be just an excuse) I make lousy burgers. I just can't get them uniformly flat rounded into the perfect little ovals, flattened one needs for a decent burger. Mine turn into little lumps of meat. A loaf didn't feel right however I went with patties. Earlier in the week I grabbed two packages of instant mashed potatoes cheese and bacon flavored. I made those with my meatloaf patties. The meal was great I thought. I should have something green or at least yellow but by the time the meatloaf patties were finished I just wanted to eat and be done.

My mom's been gone for a while now there are times I miss him more than others. I especially miss mom on Sunday afternoons when I smell meatloaf cooking..

No comments: