Monday, January 08, 2018

Vanity

.

I do not think that I am a particularly vain individual but I must admit I have worried over the past years at how photographs capture my likeness. I am too big or I am to puffy, the bags under my eyes are too baggy or I have too much neck fat. However, every once in a while and images taken that I am somewhat taken with.

Last year I did not even attend the Christmas party given by the apartment complex where I live. I had moved in late October. I was just barely getting to know the people around my immediate unit let alone the rest of the folks here at the apartments. But in a years time become one with the whole. I know you're part of the Plymouth you “family”. I also, as anyone in a large family knows – – and probably a small family as well – – there are those who are scoundrels, and those who take advantage of others and those who are bullies and one have to deal and love them for who they are. However one does not have to hang out with them anymore than they have to just like family.

This Christmas season I was much more attuned with the “family” here at the apartments. Even before Christmas I was involving myself. There was a Thanksgiving dinner for those who did not leave the facility to be with family or friends over the seasonal feasts. Granted, the Thanksgiving turkey was not as good as a home feast would've been but it was nice to be with these new friends and share the traditional food. This season of Christmas there of course was a party funded by the management of this complex. The party was even visited by St. Nick were handed out trinkets of guests in a small bundle of candy and nuts. There is also an opportunity for individuals wishing to have their images taken with the Christmas elf. I of course did not need anything like this being the Christmas elf myself earlier in the week at the Independent living center. I've had enough images taken however there was some existence that everyone had their portrait taken by one of the camera aficionados here at the apartment complex: Tricia. I've forgotten I had posed for Tricia and was surprised last week a person showed up with images of everybody, the individual portraits as well as any portraits done with St. Nick. It felt like a scam to me. I decided I was going to show them. The individual portraits were no charge and there is a slight charge for the images with St. Nick depending on how many or how large of images you wish to purchase. I was going to look at my portrait and flatly say I didn't want any such thing. However, when I was called to look at the images I was taken aback. Here before me as one of the best images and ever taken as an old guy. The image was free as well. I helped my guns to and said “No, thank you”. I rolled away that suddenly at the far that was a good image and would be a great one for the obituary when that dreaded time came. I turned around and went back and claimed my image.


Over the weekend I scanned the image into my hard drive and even post the image on my Facebook account. I plan to get some serious mileage out of this free photo. I'm currently trying to figure out how to print the image onto 5 x 7 photo paper. So far I have not been able to achieve this but I will and enjoy every bit of my vanity.

No comments: