Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Between the cracks



I'm in my backup chair today, as faithful readers know, I knew it would be a challenge but did not think the challenge would be as great as it is turning out to be. Last night, the driver did show up to pick my chair out and I was somewhat pleased that I made the transfer fairly easily all things considered. The transfer was not pretty and my clothes remained on but still pretty difficult. Later on in the evening when going to bed I'm not sure what happened but when I went to make the transfer into the back I did not get on the bed completely and sort of fell between the chair and the mattress. It was like 12 o'clock midnight and I didn't want to have to call anybody particularly the fire department.

One of the best features of my power bed is how low the floor it will sink. Low enough to the floor that I can just roll into bed with the assistance of my trapeze and gravity. Usually the clean fall and I twist just as I hit the mattress and voile I am in bed safe and sound. Last night I went to the same process but felt like I was not high enough to make the fall when I get fall I fell between the mattress and the question of the power chair. Fortunately, I struggled connected strength I needed to pull myself out of the hole and onto the bed. This took a while but I did not have to resort to the fire department are rousing somebody out of the bed like my brother. I'm hoping this near fall happen because the cushion on my backup chair is kind of small and does not offer support when I make the transfer/fall. Still though I would've expected from what I thought was the appropriate height to bed okay. When I checked to make sure the bed was as low as it would go to bed was however the height felt inadequate for such a transfer. It was almost like the chair height was close to the height of the mattress.

I did not sleep well through the night which I attribute to worrying about life in my back up chair. I finally dragged myself out of bed about a quarter after 6 AM. One of the problems with this backup chair is the footplate. Got used to the box footplate that I enjoy on my regular power chair. The first box sort of hold my feet in place while I make the transfer from bed to the power chair. I do not have that comfort on my backup chair. This morning when I went to transfer I almost immediately sunk into the space between the power chair and the mattress a reverse situation from the night before however struggle as I might I continue to wedge myself deeper between the power chair and the mattress. Luckily for me, since Wednesday the day when Dana, my home health person comes over. Long story short I waited only about 45 minutes in this position before she arrived. Swiftly, Dana got my legs onto the power chair as I power the chair into a prone position when we could then roll me onto the seat. Fortunately again, I did not have to call the fire department. I have this crazy fear that somewhere someone is keeping track of how many times outside intervention i e the fire department, and when a certain threshold is reached pressure is applied to begin to consider long-term care placement (confinement).

Luckily this time before my power chair left I had the attendant removed by cushion and put it into the back of chair which I believe is made all the difference today at least as far as comfort goes and I think will be helpful in the transfer tonight too bad. I have thought about possibly contacting my brother to come over and help with tomorrow's transfer the Dana suggests suggests that I be careful and try transferring, again on my own. Tomorrow is an in between day nobody comes in. It's just me taking care of myself and I like that. However, Dana volunteered to come over and assist me should I need her if I can make this happen be done before 9 AM which of the easy since I get up around 6 AM.

This morning after my attendant left and I was trying to get some breakfast I not off my meds because I'm not used to the back of this power chair as well as the power chair be in squirrely. The brakes that should engage each time I stop motion on the chair do not seem to work in the chair continues to travel a little causing me to bumping the stuff and not things down. This is the second time this week I've – my medications to the floor. I'm about ready to sweep them up again just annoying.

Actually, I truly am thankful for where I am and how I at this point in my life.





No comments: