Friday, January 12, 2018

Paying The Piper




I've had my new/old chair back from the shop for a little over two days now. I pretty much rode my chair all day yesterday and today. I'm fairly satisfied with the end result of all this waiting for my chair to be overhauled. I m satisfied with just one exception, I am pleased with the results. If I were a complainer, which I did not really used to be and now seem to be more than I like to admit, I would complain about the cushion. What little bit I remember of the selection process on the cushion I guess this cushion is what I chose. However I was astounded Wednesday night, Mark Anthony, stopped by and we used the wheelchair lift to get me into the new chair. When I got in to the chair that the cushion felt pretty uncomfortable on my backside. I was hoping this was my imagination.
Riding in the chair all day yesterday my butt was a major pain but I finally went to bed. I gingerly reached back and felt the site where the pain seemed to be radiating from that sure I felt skin breakdown, a decubitus. I went to the motions of rubbing cream on my butt which I do every night. The cushion definitely was not giving me the protection I needed.

This morning I had Dana look at my butt and I was prepared for the bad news. I was going to have Dana apply a second protection on the wound site in hopes that it the would heal as I sat in the chair. Remarkably, there was no skin breakdown skin looked pretty good. Amazing. I had Dana scrapped my bottom thoroughly and replace my new cushion with my old cushion. I felt great all day but wise. The new cushion cost $904 if I remember correctly. This is about the seventh for the whole bill came to actually about an eighth of the final cost now that I think of it. My controller which has been acting goofy the past couple of weeks was over $1000 which is not surprising but still kind of freaks me out but I see it totally with the rest of the statement. The foot box and articulating equipment was doing 2000 bucks! I have to admit I'm somewhat impressed with the foot box in the way that it is attached to the chair frame. This I think actually might be worth the money. This smaller box has given me a lot more options than the other huge box. I was or hopefully my insurance was charged for other items which I immediately took off the chair because they really were not needed and would prevent me from transferring from chair to bed and back again.


It's done for that I'm thankful. I'm holding my breath that I'm not going to be charged anything for the work done by the items purchased. Technically as I understand it this was all to be taken care of by my insurance. This insurance confirmation was the main reason why it took so long to have the chair overhauled in the first place. If by some horrible event I am held responsible for this overhaul even if the insurance comes in at 80% that would still leave me with over 2000 bucks I would have to pay. They would just get a small payment for eternity every month.I've included the cost breakout from a image for this post just to share the sticker shock. Enjoy

No comments: