Monday, January 01, 2018

Date One – – The New Year

Blog 010118 – – Monday

I am an enigma too many of the residents here at Plymouth View apartments. I have indicated in the past even though I'm really old and were younger residents here at the apartments meaning a lot of the folks have old time, preconceived ideas regarding people with disabilities I. E. Me. These ladies have no idea how person who lives in a power wheelchair can live the way that I do. Many of these people of marveled that I am fact will drive my power chair two or three blocks south to the theater and watch movies. Not only do I do this during the day which impresses them but I also do this after dark many times which really impresses these ladies.

One lady a particular has been most interested asking tons of questions. Today I was sitting in the common area communicating with many of the residents and wishing them all happy new year when this lady, Kate came up to me and asked me which movies are playing. Kate seemed most impressed a number of months ago when she first learned that I often went up the street to the movies. They did not even realize there is a movie theater close by nobody seemed to understand the theater close by. Today not only did she want to know what was playing but she wanted also to know what times these movies were playing. I have to admit I was a little taken back. Even more so when Kate asked if I would go with her to these movies. I told her I did not know right off the times and all the movies playing but I would check and get back with her. She then pulled me aside and whispered to me it was very important to her to go to the movies because the coming week she was going to see her position regarding changes in her life. Her physician is just diagnosed her with Alzheimer's disease. She said movies would help her not think about these upcoming changes. I would say Kate is frail, she gets along very well though. She is totally independent she even drives. Kate owns her vehicle and Kate is very much in charge of her life. I'm sure Kate is mid-80s. Keep informed me that she had to take somebody to the drugstore and that I should come to her apartment after I find information about and we can plan our movie adventure.

I did find out the information. The time was about 1030 and there were a couple of movies started around 11:40 AM. If she was ready and I was we could take off and get there by the time the previous finished enjoy the movie. I went to Kate's apartment and they are hanging out at the door were her keys. I knocked on the door no answer. I knocked again and there was no answer. I returned to my apartment and worked on a project I've been focused on. I returned a few minutes later knocked again on the door this time with one of my hooks and again no answer. One of the neighbors have to be waswalking by and she felt empowered enough to just walk into the apartment in search for Kate – – who was not there. I slowly returned to my apartment now a bit confused and slightly concerned and then I remembered a conversation she talked about Alzheimer's and her diagnosis. Great I thought to myself she totally does not even remember our conversation. She's out wandering around somewhere. When I asked Kate if she thought the doctors diagnosis was accurate she sadly looked at me and said I think he's right – – I put my phone in the freezer of the refrigerator I don't know why. The keys in the door, the abandoned apartment she definitely was having an episode. I went back to my apartment and made a quick lunch. I heard noises out in the hall and no one out there I was somewhat shocked to see Kate in a discussion with one of my neighbors. Her eyes lit up when she saw me and said “what did you find out?” I had forgotten she was taking her friend to pharmacy and that's where she'd been. She was still hot for the movies.

We went to the movies. She drove her car and I met her there in my power chair. The movie you wanted to go to Jumanji wheelchair seating was sold out, which I kind of find hard to believe. However, Star Wars newest offering was just starting. We could just make it into the theater by the time the previews ended which we did.

I'm totally impressed Kate made it through the entire movie and I think she kind of enjoyed it. She seemed to understand the movie. She gave me a small part as we left the theater. It got dark while we watch the movie and I was a little worried about her driving home but she seems okay. I had some shopping at Harmon's. We went our ways. I hope the movie helped defray some of her anxieties regarding her upcoming discussion with Kate's position. I decided the movie I would be her special friend if she could help her through this Alzheimer issue. I don't know what I can do but I will do what I can do whether she remembers it or not.





No comments: