Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Scavengers Of The Deep


I've spoken of the “sharing shelf” before. That place where people can get rid of stuff here at the apartments. The shelf all is essentially a countertop and works fine for the offerings. Behind the shelf, of coarse, is the kitchen where, we of course have a refrigerator. Over the course of the week the common room is often used for many engagements. There are general meetings, family gatherings and there has even weddings. Many times so that is left over and up in the refrigerator and is often offered up to residents of the apartments. The sharing shelf is easy to figure out the refrigerator is a little bit more of a challenge.

After any given event in the Common Room open bottles of soda can fill the shelf in the refrigerator, vegetable plates, salad fixings and even ice cream freezer section. Of course, before an event things end up in a refrigerator for the coming event. Yesterday, New Year's morning, I did my role through the common room like I usually do every morning to check the sharing shelf. There have been a number of items brought to the New Year's Eve celebration like cookies and doughnuts and other items that can be tasty but alas the shelf was bare. But what the heck out of the refrigerator there on the second shelf was a plastic cup full of nice sized shrimp into the site a small container of dip for the shrimp. There is also the beverages and other items in the whole bag of salad and a handwritten sign on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator which read “free”. As a general rule I shy away from seafood or “scavengers of the deep”. Someday I'll write about that last comment. This small container of shrimp however looked interesting. Fully cooked shrimps the size of a grown man's thumb crammed into this small container. The shrimp look good it was all I could do to hold back from reaching out and trying on. I closed the refrigerator door and went on my way.

I checked a couple more times yesterday and each time the shrimp sat there testing me. I figured, by this time, the food product is still there it was being saved for some sort of event and put everything out of my mind about the shrimps. But then again this morning when I checked there were whatever the event these items are being saved for the event was not coming quick enough. Now, I'm thinking what if the shrimp were out for grabs? It's common knowledge that seafood, even refrigerated, must be used quickly or fear of losing it. And I know from my own experience seafood especially from those bad quickly. I refrained still from using the shrimp for fear of reprisals. As I was leaving I heard one of the other renters here at the apartment asking whether the qualified management types if the shrimp was up for grabs and I did not wait around to hear the response. I did a few minutes later to take an image of the shrimp, if the shrimp were still around, they were!


I kind of wish the other apartment resident had taken the shrimp and got the culprits out of the refrigerator and ended this whole thing. If the shrimp are there tomorrow I'm going to throw them out, three days is just too long even for scavengers.

No comments: