Saturday, January 13, 2018

Just Another Saturday Night


It's Saturday night and I'm frantically searching Amazon prime for something to watch. It's not like Amazon prime is light on movies, prime has lots of movies but most are dogs. When I first got Amazon prime little over a year ago I went through a lot of movies quickly. Then the novelty of having access to a movie type of network wore out. However, I plan to get into this a bit more later. It Saturday night and I'm sitting here, alone in front of my computer screen and that's okay.

A thousand posts ago maybe more I wrote a piece about Saturday night. I think about a piece about the SND or the Saturday Night Dance held in Boise Idaho in Boise Stake(a stake is a geographical region in the LDS church made up of wards) every Saturday night and one of the stake centers there would be a dance for youth and more specifically for Mormon youth. It was really the only thing to do on Saturday nights in Boise. So it's another Saturday night and here I sit in Taylorsville Salt Lake. Remember was a big deal to do something on Saturday night? Saturday night was the end of the week and you want to do it with a big bang. Dress-up or go out of town, least wise while you're young. One can go as far as money could take them. But I was too little to do anything on my own there was usually with an older brother or sister and I was the tag a long. I mean if you want to take the time machine back further but not really little my older sister is to be plagued by happy to take care of me to babysit me on Saturday night they often brought their boyfriends in an amount of air base to help out. It's kind of weird to remember a time when my parents would actually go out Saturday night. The sisters were great making huge vats of popcorn to watch TV with. The only show I can remember is something called Highway Patrol. I'm surprised we had a TV but we did, black and white and we watched the long Saturday night.

15 years later I was in college trying to date, again on limited income in the mostly less than dependable car. I dated a little bit but you might do so much as a poor college student. You pretty much ended up hanging out with other college students, guys that were not able to find a date. They played cards I watched. I thought playing cards on Saturday night was a real drag and eventually I would wander back to my apartment and try to find something on TV not much different as right now.

It's Saturday night and I guess it would be nice to be out doing something but there's something about being home or apartment in your three weeks away from your 67th birthday. So I am going to head back to Amazon and see what I scare up.



No comments: