Thursday, April 05, 2018

PCA s



As a quadriplegic, I've been the fortunate over the years of not having to deal with managing attendant care staff. Again, I have been fortunate up to my stenosis of been able to totally take care of myself which I've discussed here to some length. However, since the divorce I really have to take care of myself. I know that sounds pathetic but sadly it is true. I secretly wondered as I watched my friends and listened to some of their dealings with their support staff how did they do it? Working in the field of independent living and doing a lot of counseling I did hear a lot of horror stories of attendants out of control, gone bad even dangerous. I heard the stories of those who have a to hire their own attendance outright  not using an agency, or newspaper or word-of-mouth. Most of the times these relationships seem to work out but I also hear about the bad times where attendants stole from the person they were to care for or even intimidated or threatened that person or in some cases actually physically abused if not mentally abused the person. So when it came time that I had to have an attendant I was still married and Dianne of course took a significant role in the process which I greatly appreciated and I did a lot of the management myself as well. At times things got a little confusing. Now that I'm out of my own install my own call and I have been so fortunate to have gotten really decent assistants.

In fact my home health personnel is one of the best that I have had. Those of you will read this blog will remember Honey. Honey was great/is great. Actually, Honey has even stepped in and provided assistance when she was not even my person and a longer. I was very worried when Honey terminated her employment with my agency but the guys are great and sent Dana over to take Honey's role as my caregiver. Dana is funny, smart and totally practical. Dana is not afraid to go above and beyond her role as personal-care attendant. An example being after applying my suppository I have to wait number of minutes for the suppository to act. Dana will actually find work to do for example she always makes my bed, which I greatly appreciate, she has vacuumed as well is mopped the floor in the kitchen as well as taking the garbage out to the dumpster! It's funny, I don't expect her to do these things and most of my home health people did not do these things but now that she has done these things I'm beginning to expect her to do these things. (I hope that didn't make too much confusion). Yesterday, she provided by regular service and she made my bed but she didn't sweep the kitchen nor did she take the garbage out and she said as much. I really didn't mind but made me think wonder why? She did not seem upset or angry or overly tired when she conveying the message that she was going to do these things only when she wanted to which is okay I've never expected her to do this extra work but sure have appreciated it. I don't know if there is some sort of feeling that there might be some sort of “tip” involved for the extra work. It's never been an issue, extra compensation is never brought up. In fact I think she has indicated she does this because she hates to sit around and do nothing. I'm hoping that. I will have it right for now I certainly do not want Dana to be unhappy. I really like this person is a home healthcare person.

So I am getting the feeling that this is personal-care management. Some PCA's are better than others. Some of the more than others and some will quit the some of take more management and direction and need more management and direction than others and that's my job as the person needing these services. Bums me out to know that Dana will not be my forever person and there will never be a forever person as far as personal-care people go I'm just thankful to have what I have when I have it.

No comments: