Saturday, April 07, 2018

Saturday Night chaos



It was exactly 7:07 PM I was just getting started on fixing dinner. I've been thinking about building a spaghetti dinner for the past three days. I took out a pound hamburger on Thursday thinking I would put together a spaghetti dinner then the one thing led to another and my day just got away from me. Today is my food bank day I usually go on Saturday I go to the food bank and today was rather remarkable. I really was thinking I was not going to go to the food bank today because they're supposed to be heavy rain this morning. My food bank window is from 10 to 12 and usually there's a pretty healthy line to have to wait through.. Only one person can go into the food bank at once it takes about five minutes for that person to circulate through. I have only been going to the food bank for about two months now. Theoretically if you qualify for food bank services you can go up to three times a month to get a food box. The weather has been wet and cold the last couple weeks I've gone to food bank. However, I stood in line with the others and went through the doors when it was my time. It's not like give you a box you did go through the line and select different things. I think the food bank volunteers think I am finicky because I often turn down the selections they offer choosing really just a few of their offerings usually frozen meat, fresh vegetables and sometimes some of the baked offerings. What was spectacular about today the rains did not come as forecast and there was no line whatsoever when I got to the food bank. Not a single person was in line about right in. I got three frozen choices today 1 pound hamburger, frozen chicken breasts and a pound of frozen turkey ham – – the turkey ham is actually really quite good. I spaghetti macaroni (is that redundant?) Can of potato slices, strawberries, a lot of very nice wheat bread and a host of other items included a mystery bag (a life-sized set paper sack full of anything they can think to put in their but you don't know what it is when you get) the last mystery bag I got was full of candy bars good ones baby Ruth, the peanut butter bar and others in some hard cand. Today's mystery back however was full of popcorn the kind you put in the microwave. I would rather pop my own corn on the stove but it's always good to have microwave Orval Redenbacher popcorn if it's available and today it was.

At 7:07 PM tonight as I was beginning to process vegetables for spaghetti sauce I heard three explosions close by. I thought at first these were gunshots but is really too loud for that. There's a nice little park adjacent to our housing complex a lot of low-income folks, Third World or is in minority folks use that park throughout the year I've heard gunshots there before. On the third explosion I think caught a flash out of the corner of my eye. It was definitely the explosion. Next, I heard and saw fire engines and he stopped right across the street from my apartment's. There is rain falling out as much as I want to go out to the fence to see what was going on across the street I stayed in and worked under. A few minutes later the rain ceased and I ventured out. The fast food joint, Arctic Circle, across the street was dark, very dark, not good for Saturday night. Emergency vehicles were parked across the street and there were a few people wandered around the building. One of the neighbors of the apartment complex standing with me noted that it looked as if one of the telephone poles/power lines on the corner of the building look like the top had broken off. It then made sense to me the explosion of flash I witnessed was a transformer exploding. The explosives are very loud I'm afraid that Arctic Circle may be toast.

I chopped onion, green pepper and garlic which I added to the hamburger and fried everything up. One of the cans picked up at the bank today was spaghetti sauce which are added to the hamburger and vegetables. I cooked spaghetti which I also got from the food bank today and eventually added everything together it was kind of dry I added another can of spaghetti sauce. The entire kitchen took a hit. The kitchen is chaos I will work on it tonight and tomorrow. I'm waiting for the spaghetti to cool and I will but the spaghetti in a plastic container to eat next week. I've even got cookies for the food bank which I usually never choose but today I felt special. Chaos in my kitchen on Saturday night.

No comments: