Thursday, April 26, 2018

Super Charge And More!




I'm sitting here patiently waiting for my chair to charge. I usually charge my chair every night. There are those nights when I no I do not have to go anywhere the next day I don't charge but usually after a hard day of rolling the pavement I charge. Last night however I realized my chair has major problems my equipment needs attention. I should've attended to this fact long before last night but I didn't realize how severe the problem had become. To my knowledge I have only two chargers left in my wheelchair charger arsenal (I used to have about six). Little by little have used them up.

The problems I have now are one charger connector plug has come undone. I set that charger aside and started using my backup which worked okay for a couple of days until I ran over the connector one morning and separated the connector from the major cord. The connector was still more or less intact could I still more or less use the device to charge my chair which I did until a couple nights ago when the charger began to blink red. I did some research and found out when your charger flashes red this is not a good is not a good thing. I should've dropped everything right then made arrangements to get something fixed. Last night I tried to use the wire hanging charger and when I went to press it into the charging slot on my power chair there were sparks in the acrid smell something was definitely wrong and I certainly did not want to damage power chair's control box which would be major expensive. So I went the night without charging knowing next day I have to head over to first chapter on this charge and more importantly I have to figure out a way to power my chair when the charge in the battery exhausts itself.

The only option I figured I had was to head out right after the coffee club's over to Create and have Tom the coordinator look at my problem. I made a call to find out if he'd be in and he was. And taking both chargers with me because I really need two chargers one in the bedroom next to my bed or a charge all night and one by my computer in the living room where, if I need to do an emergency charge I can while I write, watch movies or just search on the Internet. My plan was to have Tom fix the one charger which I pretty much knew was an easy fix. I knew someone who knew what they were doing could easily undo the connection and then reassemble the connector the correct way. I kind of wanted Tom just to swap out the bad charger with another charger and if that doesn't work maybe he can fix that charger somehow. I want to do this and get back to the apartment where I can then charge my chair for a couple hours before Next Chapter.

I am kind of surprised how fast I got to Create and I was right, Tom undid the charger and then put the device back together, the way it's supposed to be and the job was done. Tom did not swap out the charger as I was hoping but he is going to splice a new connector onto the cord and that charger should be good as new. I got back home and started charging. My indicator looks like I still have a good half charge left… I probably could've made it to book club back but I did not want to take the chance. I am sitting here charging.

Well I made it, the indicator on my controller did not look any different than before I started charging but in my heart I knew I had a good two hours charge in the batteries. I sailed like a champ there and back again. And tonight I'm going to give it a good long charge so I will be up for what ever the weekend might bring..:-)

No comments: