Sunday, April 01, 2018

Easter/April Fools – – Where'is The Joke?


Image result for trapper John

Talk about a strange Easter. This year Easter as well as April fools fall in the same day totally amazing yet at the same time for the first time kind of appropriate least as I see it. But I don't have the desire/well or brains to do an adequate compare and contrast these two remarkable days. Over the years I know I have done posts about my Easter as a child always running out of candy eggs after which I would start going through all the other baskets I can get my hands on. I was the baby of the family then and usually got away with it to my brothers and sisters chagrin. So, Easter has always been a bit of a letdown for me. Easter was never a big holiday for our family aside from the Easter baskets. I don't remember any new clothes for church are even major family functions centered around Easter. We just went to church and that was about it. Even our church, I don't remember, is to be in a big event aside from reading a few scriptures about the concept. I remember at one time the Ward put together a small program around the Scriptures reading the main Scriptures of Easter – – my dad always like God because my father had such a strong and humble voice. Sister Hessing, who always put these things together, was infatuated with my father's voice. Christmas and Easter pageants that God was speaking so was my father. I'm sure somehow on some deep psychological level by father playing God has had impact on me.

I hate practical jokes a making somebody else feel bad the way practical jokes often do because I hate it when practical jokes are played on me. Therefore I try to stay away from human beings as much as possible on April 1. I never did but I often thought about calling in sick to work on 1 April or April Fools' Day. At one time independent living center shared the same building as Salt Lake community action program in downtown Salt Lake. The director of the program name was Cathy . Cathy was infatuated with Pournelle Roberts the actor who played the part of Trapper John in the television series M*A*S*H. In the old days you can still smoke cigarettes in public buildings. On our side of the building we didn't stop but the people Community Action smoke like chimneys. I went over to A couple times a day that the smoke. On April fools one year a couple of staff strong-armed me into playing a practical joke on Cathy for April's fools. They want to be a call and pretend I was Pournelle Roberts and tell Cathy I was coming into the office on a public relations gig. I instantly felt bad but cannot stand up against the peer pressure and went through with the spoof.

Later on that day I felt even worse when Cathy staff let Cathy in on the joke but. I could tell immediately she was crestfallen. Yet the staff laughed and Cathy did to but she had her heart set on meeting Mr. Roberts. But still feel bad when I think about that day however from that day forward I've had the name Trapper John and I've always felt close to Cathy. Be that as it may still hate April Fools' Day

No comments: