Monday, April 16, 2018

To Be or Not To Be... On Facebook?



Another Monday and a stiff wind blows from the South ,meaning one thing: a storm storm is bearing down on the Wasatch front. Weather reports indicate the storm will be in this evening sometime late tonight or early tomorrow morning with plunging temperatures and possibly snow to the valley floor. Makes sense, tomorrow is Tuesday and David over at Assist has promised to have a meeting of the advisory board tomorrow. I participate on the citizen advisory board for an organization which helps elderly and low income folks with architectural issues. If we have the meeting I will go regardless, weather does not faze me as far as this meeting goes. I just bundle up in the jacket and bus in from 11 o'clock meeting. I certainly hope David does not cancel the meeting. I'm the youngest member of the group and the weather does not affect me as it does the others so either way I have things to keep me busy.

I got an interesting Facebook posting from one of my childhood/adolescent friends one who I just reacquainted with the last five or six years his name is Edward or just Ed. Ed announced his farewell to his many Facebook followers. Ed did not give a reason he just said he was leaving Facebook and canceling his account and his page. I quite liked Ed growing up . I did not meet him until the seventh-grade. We had a couple of classes together and we hung around the same group. Of course, Ed was one of the people I lost contact with following my accident. He of course I with his life, high school, the military (Vietnam) and University and then a very successful career and technology. I was just blown away when I met him again a few years ago. His life is so successful and professional I would never have imagined that success am so proud of Ed. Edward finished his soliloquy in his Facebook suicide by saying those who wished were welcome to write him or call him to keep in touch. I will give it a few months to see if one he stays away from FB and to gauge how much I want to keep in contact with a good friend.

I'm curious about what is going to happen with the whole FB phenomenon particularly with all the publicity going down about digital security and what Mr. Zuckerberg is going to do about it. I kind of think people don't really care. The beauty and wonder of being ability to instantly stay in contact with people you've known, and grown with and love all of your life is so much more important than digital security. Come on, the giant corporations were screwing us already at least with Facebook it feels like were getting something for all our cyber indiscretions. I know I'm going to keep my account in fact I would actually consider doing a subscription if the cost was not too much. I don't like twitter very much nor the other platforms which is because I'm old and I don't like change. And now because our “commander-in-chief” users twitter as much as he does is all the more reason. The other platforms are just too complicated or I don't see the need. I can get in all the trouble I need on Facebook ;-)

No comments: