Monday, April 09, 2018

Beep Beep!!




Rain fell during the night, I know that it did, I heard the rain on the window by my bed so I was quite surprised this morning when I looked out and saw blue sky and sunshine. What a beautiful day. I had to hustle this morning. I slept till 6:45 AM and I rarely sleep that late, especially on the day my home health staff comes. I like to have coffee made and face shaved by the time she gets here. I also like to pick up a little bit if the need is present… the need is always present. I could not figure why I felt slow after all I had 90 more minutes of sleep than I usually get' I was surprised that I felt a little groggy. After Dana left I made myself some breakfast. Still I felt good for Monday morning and was going about straightening apartment and wash a batch of clothes.

I think I've discussed in the past that I live at the end of the hallway with the door to the outside leading to a resident parking area and the dumpsters. I don't mind living where I do even with the noise the electronic doors make when they open. This sounds circus goes on all day and sometimes all night. Today the sun was just too bright and after I finished dressing I rolled out to the dumpsters to get a feel for the day. The morning was crisp and pure still feeling with the dampness of the late-night rain. The sun felt good and there was no breeze and I felt perfect. I knew the day would only warm from that point forward and everyone should take advantage of this early spring gift. I want back into the apartment put the dirty clothes into the wash basket and made my burrito, Chinese noodles and jalapeno breakfast washing everything down with fresh coffee. I had NPR on in the background and suddenly I wanted to go out side and check the temperature.… I thought about dragging my phone with me so I can continue listening to Radio West, a local broadcast show which is surprisingly well done. I figure the radio is too much bother and go out and I am immediately greeted by superbly warm air. I was getting drowsy, sleepy as I left the building and wandered into the sun. The morning sun felt delicious. I wandered past the planting area over towards the dumpsters which are loosely enclosed within concrete walls. I sometimes hang out in the dumpster area where I can read. I can feel like I'm hiding, unseen, I enjoy the anonymity. Today I noticed the way the sun was coming up over the building the white wall of the dumpster area was illuminated so not only were the sun rays feeling warm but the refracted light from tehe sun lit wall intensify the heat. I made sure I was out of view, turned my chair so was facing the sun and then tilted back in my chair so I was magically comfortable. I dozed but I didn't care. I had nowhere to go nowhere to be except there.

I felt more than heard the diesel's throaty rumble and the “beep,beep,beep” backup horn of the garbage truck. Everything felt and sounded distant like a dream. Then I felt the ground trembled as the dumpster in the first section was lifted and pounded into the dump truck then crashed back down to the ground. The driver said he honked but I don't remember hearing the air horn of garbage truck but the next thing I remember was the garbage truck lineup beside me the door opening up and the driver asking if I was all right. Sheepishly, I dreamt that I was in through my chair and gear and left the immediate . I watched the garbage truck empty the dumpster was sitting next to. I briefly talked to the garbage guys they thought it was pretty funny – – I kind of think they thought I was dead. I wasn't I just looked like I was.

It was only after I went back into the building and started thinking of stupid I was and how bad things can be gotten if the drivers have not seen me. I really thought I was in a safe spot. I only wanted to get a little sun.





No comments: