Friday, July 09, 2021

Looking For The Genie


 


The diligent reader will remember that a little over a year ago I broke my cherished Café Martin coffee mug which I don't know how long I've had. I think the mug somehow came into my possession from Dianne somewhere along the line. As I understand there is a Café Martin in New Orleans and of course the Fountainhead, as I understand is in Paris which again makes total sense. Anyway, I don't know which I became enamored with more the mug or the image of the genie on the mug or maybe the gestalt of both. I loved having my coffee cup of this cherished artifact. I fantasized what this café would be like. I'd like to think it's dark and cozy with artists and writers sitting at tables communicating, creating and being basically cool. In fact there is a Café Martin in Salt Lake City and its French cuisine but it's not a cool coffeehouse in the don't have a genie anywhere as far as I can tell. The places inaccessible to folks with wheelchairs that says enough.


Again, the diligent reader all see that I was questing for another mug at DI and other secondhand establishments in the best I could do is find a smaller version of the great cup. I did restore the cup which broke, as well as I could, but said cop well never hold beverages again but looks good on the top of my rack where I have it on display. After I got home this afternoon from feeding the ducks, pantry fly infested, breakfast muffins I decided I was going to place an order for a new mug. The reason I haven't before was I couldn't figure out just how much fluid my original mug held. I seems more focused this afternoon then usual, could be a result of the heat, or the good karma gleaned from feeding a host of adolescent ducklings over at the local park. I took the skinny mug which I do like the just seems like does not hold enough fluid objects measurement found out that it had like 8 fluid ounces. Then I searched the Internet and found a blog available and I did have the opportunity to order the “large” mug for $11 and change I think. I think it said something like that mug was 11 ounces or maybe more I can't recall right now but it seemed like it was in line with the broken mug on display. In prior days I would fret and grown about making the wrong decision but you know what, maybe it's the pandemic, I don't know for sure but I decided to pull the trigger let the hammer fall and placed the order.


I suggested in one of my postings from 2020 that I would be certain for coffee cups with this emblem but you know what? The pandemic hit and none of the secondhand stores I frequent were open for more than a year! To be honest, I got out of the habit of going to these establishments. But that's I get my “sea legs” back again I think I will start searching these arbiters of discarded coffee cups and just see if I can find any more Café Martin's out there.



No comments: