Thursday, July 08, 2021

Name Dropper

 


I'm so cheap I can't believe how quickly I fall into the old habit of name dropping .I hate myself when I do it but I Did it this morning when I was trying to find out what I need to do to get another bus pass


Couple weeks ago I realized I had lost my bus pass which allows me to access mainline transit vehicles free of charge it's complicated. Anyway I went to they went y and got a new bus pass which I thought was a new bus pass where in fact it was just a free fair card or a low fare card. Which is a different program entirely though it looks much like the other bus pass.


Then yesterday when I boarded the bus the driver challenged me for my bus pass which I thought OK no problem pulled out what I had and the driver indicatedI still had to pay the dollar and 25 cents which which is the fare price for seniors and people with disabilities( Which is still a deal all things be an equal). I didn't put up a fuss or anything I just ended up paying t The dollar and 25 cents and consider myself lucky. But still, I was kind of confused by some drivers look at the card and just pass me through and most drivers don't even ask for any kind of validation. And then every once in a while the driver asks something different and they was to pay the fare.


I may have you hammered about this in the past but in the old days a number of transit authorities wouldn't even carry people with disabilities. They offered what was called paratransit service and it's all too complicated and long to go into here. But just leave it to say it was unfair and unjust. The local authority U T A had another program that is if a person qualifies for paratransit but chooses not to use the paratransit service they are then eligible for free bus pass, never ending not have to be renewed monthly or yearly just a pass. That's what I had and that's what I lost and that's what was not replaced when I ask for a replacement number weeks ago. This morning I had a few minutes so I called the transit authority and first I got a hold of just the regular customer service person who really tried to help me but didn't really know what she was talking about. Finally I asked her about their ADA compliance person got a hold of their new ADA compliance officer. I have been quite close with the old officer in fact I knew quite a bit of the management in the old days but things change and become new and fossils like me get left behind. Anyway visiting with new officer we finally realized what else talking about was the paratransit pass for the mainline system. She's good look into it. This was when I started dropping names, and shamefully my involvement with Utah transit Authority, the disabled transit movement for access etc. etc. I couldn't help it had just talk about myself and shamefully that's exactly what I did. I'm just so weak. Hopefully should get back with me soon and let me know do I pay our do I continue to ride the paratransit wave?


,,

No comments: