Monday, July 12, 2021

Yellow Jackets!!

 





Wasps, Yellowjackets and Hornets and I realize I may have been redundant there but still, these insects are vicious and they scare the heck out of me. We always have. I know that some of these beasts have stingers but I know also some of them actually bite and chew causing great pain. Yellowjackets which I'm sure just another name for the other two names for insects that attack, and bite and act like bullies have always fascinated if not terrified me. Of course growing up on a farm we had a old bathtub for a watering hole for the cattle on our farm. It was my job summer and winter to make sure the cattle always had freshwater during the day. On the farm of course we did a lot of irrigation near or on the weekends in the cattle then could find water out of the ditches. The point I'm making is that when I wanted the cows in the area close to the barns , the water always slopped over the sides. And these Hornets or Yellowjackets and I also remember us calling them mud daubers would actually use the spilt water and dirt and or poop to mixed together to build their condominiums of underneath the eaves of the barn and other sheds. They would build these little palaces anywhere the sun didn't shine it seemed like the fenders of cars and trucks in the chicken coops and just about anywhere. These mud dauber S basically left us alone if we left them alone. However, if you got a mad watch out.


I can't remember but we had a massive outbreak of wasps at the house earlier this summer. Dianne had to call exterminators in to try to get rid of these pests which you decided to build a massive best in the house or under the house. Dianne was freaked out and so was I just listing to how aggressive these buggers were. She finally got them taking care of. Recently at the apartment complex share I've noticed more and more hornets and Yellowjackets hanging around the dumpster area in fact it was the other day in the morning is taking some garbage out to the dumpster that I noticed a lump of something on the access ramp to the parking are. I was intrigued when I got closer I noticed it was made out of that stuff their nests are made out of that weird paper stuff they manufacture. The do my terror/horror the little lump seem to start squirming then I noticed the lump was actually a whole living unit of wasps. I think they were brand-new just patching out! I quickly rolled to the apartment and grabbed my cell phone came back and took some images. I didn't dare touch the best is left alone and backed away rolled back in the apartment. My neighbor thinks that the nest came came from one of the other residents birdcage she had hanging over her patio.. She thinks the neighbor through the birdcage away and somebody else pulled it out of the dumpster and then realized this hornets nest was on the bottom and knocked it off leaving that somehow on the walkway to the back door of the apartment complex. As of yet none of this is been verified that make sense. That's the last thing we need around the apartment complex is that an invasion of military type hornets…

No comments: