Thursday, May 24, 2007

Beautiful Dreamer

So now I am dreaming about the Road to Freedom event! Road to Freedom is all that filled my head while I slept last night. I remember waking once about 2:45 from a dream about ow the program weas supposed to go. I am supposed to ‘MC’ this event and I have never “ MC”ed anything before in my life and I don’t do well in front of crowds so I am sure my unconscious is running terrorized through it self making up one scenario after another and throwing these shorts up on the wall of the screening room of my brain. One benefit I realized from my night of terror is that I had better have a program if it my job to introduce these folks. Then I realized I possible I should have an program to hand out to the press and members of the audience. Maybe something with images of the speakers…Hum?. So you can see how my brain begins churning once I start thinking. Thankfully I was able nip most of the angst in the bud and was able to get a couple more hours sleep, if fit full before I had to get up. actually I am feeling a little anxious right now contemplating this event. So, I am not sure how effective I will be shutting down runaway thought processes as the days and nights get closer.

I am not a very political guy—I am not clever the way a political guy have to be to play the games demanded of the politician. As I was wondering how to draft up this program for next Friday I think of who I have and what order they should be. I realized that I have four speakers and if they all show up and if they all take ten minutes that is 40 minutes which is almost an hour which I am sure is way longer then any attention span of media representatives in the audience, then to make matters worse I got a call when I was away at my meeting this morning from the local ‘Interpreters are Us’ which can only mean they want to rent one of their interpreters. It turns out they do not have interpreters to rent. They wanted to pass out information at the event about their program great! Now I have opened the “can of worms” how do I deal with the deaf community?. Easy, hire an interpreter for an hour for the first hour of the event, when we actually have content to interpret $45.00 an hour I think we can do that—it’s the right thing to do.

Even though I have sworn just have fun with this event and not let the event stress me out and I am trying not to let this event stress me out I feel it beginning top do so. I have a queer little feeling high in my chest making me feel just a little bit anxious. The feeling in my chest is quick to quiver all over my body and disappear if I should concentrate on the feeling too much, sort of like trying to attend to a dream just on the other side of consciousness: the dream disappears each time you release the here and now and try to focus on the it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark - tell the interpreters that you'd love to have them "signing" for your speakers, but you will give them free advertising instead of $45 per hour...then you just introduce them and/or their business at the beginning of your program:
"Want to thank ABC Interpreters for being here today to assist, if you need their services please call them at 801-xxx-xxxx". Do the same thing at the end of your speakers when you wrap up; they get what they want, you get what you want, and it doesn't cost you anything! Happens all the time in my business, and it works very well! Good luck - you'll be great with this project. Love ya, Linda