Wednesday, May 16, 2007

One Down and So Much More

My board meeting went off much better then I anticipated the meeting would. The meeting was not that well attended but that is ok since I just have to show I have had a meeting I am OK with small attendances. Small as the meeting was I feel great relief to have the meeting behind me.

I zoomed right from the Board meeting to my meeting with the IOTI Steering Council, for which I spent my weekend reading and grading grants. This is an easier meeting except I am Vice Chair and I often have to take charge of the meeting when the chair person is gone. The chair of this committee is also Chair of the University program which oversees this program so whenever a grant which is going to be discussed by the Committee is written by her or one of the people in her program the Chair has to leave the room and I then have to talk over the meeting and review the grant. I execute this task much better then I used to but I am still pretty rough round the edges. The best part of this meeting is the University feed us cold sandwiched and cokes but it’s a lunch I don’t have to purchase and the sandwiches are good.

So really with these two items behind me. I am experiencing some relief as I launch into the Road To Freedom Tour(RTF). We had a team meeting to discuss what needed to be done in the next two weeks. We need to just get speakers lined up and committed and the community outreach to bring in as many consumers as we can—we must create the illusion of great interest and participation. Smoke and mirrors if you well. Even though the “window” is closing fast I feel we can do what we have to do with the time I have remaining. Then I just have to get the Russian tour set up. The Russian tour is not till the first week of August so I have an illusion of time to bring the events of this project. The Russian project has not yet begun to affect my sleep patterns.

I am getting a premonition that the next set of mechanical maladies is about to hit. Last night when I pulled into the driveway of my house I went to actuate my drivers seat and the seat was unresponsive: the seat would not slide back on its track as it is supposed to. I finally fiddled with the switches that the chair would just barely move. I bet it took me nearly ten minutes to travel the 18 inches on the track to where I could swivel and access my power chair! I am afraid the seat will stop working completely and if that should happen while I am sitting in the chair in its lowest position I am stuck. Last night I should have just driven the vehicle over to Mobility Solutions and either had them find the problem then and there and do the repair or just dropped the van off and “trained” home. Alas, I was too tired. I just realized that tomorrow afternoon I have a housing meeting over on 200nd

East and 800 South. I guess I will be the streets tomorrow. But, I have noticed that my power chair is beginning to shut down when I am just “zooming” more and more. Used to think I would accidentally hit the “off” switch with my hand s I bounced on my ride but the more this happens the more I am seeing this happen for no apparent reason. I am sensing a “mechanical electrical” storm is lurking on my horizon.

No comments: