Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Day 2


Day two in the manual chair; This is going to be a long time with out the power hair. I can tell this already. I had to go to a deeper cushion because the low-profile I have been using in this Quickie just is not offering me the protection I need on my but. I have a wound on the but and I need all the protection I can get. I have to minimize pressure wounds because if the pressure sore goes attended the wound can degrade into actual life threatening issues.

Day two my hands are beginning to feel the stress of pushing off the tires of the chair and these tires are brand new too the tread I pristine biting into my hands each time I push off the tire. If I had a functional grip in my hands I imagine this hand destruction would be different. If I am going to have to push this or my other chair for any extended period of time I am going to have to invest into some good old pushing gloves. I figure I can go a couple of months of regular pushing before I need to worry about issues with my rotor cuffs. I am already having difficulty in transferring. I was with the ‘low profile’ cushion. And just the inch or so with these larger cushions is making transferring almost impossible. I really do not wish to fall out of my chair. I have not fallen since Dianne’s back got so bad and I doubt she would be able to assist me much if and when I next fall—but I don’t want to rush the issue either. The cushion I used yesterday was a gel cushion, which is heavy but offers a lot of protection. The cushion I am using today is an air cushion with a valve to regulate the amount of air in the cushion at any given time. The nice feature to this cushion is that you can regulate how tall the cushion is but offers less butt protection. As I near the end of the working day of Day two I find my self tired I can tell my butt is fatigued but not necessarily more sore then my butt was yesterday at this same time.

I think if I really grumped and begged and moaned I could get my hands on a loaner power chair somewhere. I could have rented a chair from the shop where my chair is being repaired but I could not justify $165.00 a week I mean I could actually afford the cost I just could not justifying paying the “fat man” that much money for a chair which is just going to sit there. I don’t know even if I were to get a power wheel chair rented through my insurance if I would do it since the system is so corrupt. It would just not be right.

So, this is really a glimpse of what life will be like in my not too distant future. I can see I need to acquire some sort of lift which will assist me in these lifts I am having difficulty making. I need a couple more sliding boards and I should consider using some of medical leave to rest my butt and assist it heal.

No comments: