Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Christmas Miracle ?

Because I run the Sales Bank, our part of the website which allows people with assistive technology (used) a place where they can list their used technology for sale, trade or donation, I see first what is going on the “big board”. As some of you constant readers are away the lift in my van has been wearing out or sometime. We patch a part there and improvise a piece here but little by little the lift is wearing out. A new lift would be roughly $5000.00 obviously that is not going to happen, so I have been keeping my ear to the ground hoping a useable lift would be come available.

Monday I took the call. An older gentleman called with a lift he wanted to give away, GIVE AWAY!! I called my installed, Justin, who pretty much assured me that the lift should fit into a full sized van like I drive. The lift is three years old and for me this is practically new. The lift is a Ricon split lift, which means the platform portion of the lift actually IS split down the middle and fold up so when the lift is in the “up” position, people who ambulate can actually climb into the van through the lift. The split platform is a nifty feature but much more nifty is the whole thing is free. The installation will run close $500.00 but that is doable; just means no Christmas this year but for me.

I have accepted to do this project, albeit with a few twinges a guilt, but I am forcing my self through the guilt rationalizing like mad: this lift will provide dependable transportation allowing me to continue working etc,etc. Hopefully Justin can pick up the lift today inspect the product then if acceptable we’ll drop off the van and Justin feels he can take out the old lift and install the replacement in one day! We might be driving the lift van this weekend. This ould be sweet indeed.

No comments: