Thursday, November 01, 2007

Trick or Treat




I had to stop at a shop on the way home from work, last night, which took me a block away from the from my train station. I have to admit I was a bit preoccupied; the evening was growing late though the sun had not yet set, a cool wind had come up making the evening colder then I would have preferred. I was scurrying through the buildings and block of the ‘metropolitan’ of downtown Salt Lake to the train station. Halloween night and I had noticed a few who had braved public humiliation and were out on the sidewalks as rock stars, slashers and cartoon characters…one Bob Square Pants. I pulled my jacket round my face in my best Dickens characterization and headed into the wind. I was heading west to war main street and came up on regent Street. There was a SUV type vehicle blocking my path of travel. You know people will pull up past stop zone and block the crosswalk? Well I did not pay much attention and accelerated my chair hair and went behind the SUV.

The pavement is very rough in this section of town, blacktop has been layered over blacktop for decades it seems and causes a wavy surface on the street. As I went behind the SUV I felt my weight shift as I negotiated these blacktop waves and I rounded the SUV I felt myself(chair) brush against the bumper. There was a bit ff a “thud” but I was OK and I was then on my way. I had a nagging feeling that all was not well, but I sped on my way, had a train to catch.

As I sat at the corner of Second South and Main street a guy, nicely dressed in a yellow dress shirt and slacks and asked if he could have my name—I thought he might be a reporter or something. He read my name off my ID packet I wear round my neck and also noticed that I worked for the State. He was very cool about the whole thing but I did have a weird feeling. Finally asked what he wanted the information for. Of course he is the driver of the SUV whose bumper I ran into. He went on to tell me that I had injured hi rear bumper and that was going to have to pay for the repair to the bumper. I was blown away so I just sit looking stupid on the corner of Second south and Main Street. I was the deer in then head lights. I even gave him my stupid business card. He was very nice about the whole thing but very serious too. I could not think of anything to say but I was sorry. I went round the vehicle and yup, sure enough there was a scratch. The SUV had that rubber like stuff on the bumper and that was what I had scratched. If the bumper had been regular chrome I doubt I would have left a mark of any kind. The guy said “of course I’ll have to get the bumper fixed.” Who knows what that means. I mean a bumper ? Holy Cow who fixes a bumper!! A two inch scratch! True I was preoccupied I should have been paying more attention on the street so the did cause me to brush the vehicle. I could try to fight the claim if it gets to the point where damages are levied against me. But what can I fight? I did it I hit the bumper—I have no defense except absent-mindedness. Maybe he was just trying to scare me. Maybe he was fed up with these no account, above the law street vixens who run Willie Nellie all over the down town sidewalks cutting people off, hogging the sidewalks and ramming cars. Well this one is going to pay for the scratch in my bumper. I probably will too…another expensive lesson. When will I learn?

1 comment:

marks_thought said...

Hi Ya Dad, I was just reading your blog & this concerns me a bit. Have you heard from this person concerning the matter. It seems if he was parked illegally blocking a crosswalk or something like that & was creating a potentially hazardous situation for you, perhaps that will give you a bit of negotiation. Ideally it won't be something you hear about again though