Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Frozen Turkey

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I am sitting in the office “cooking down” the clock till I can go come for the holiday. Most the other staff have left the holiday and the Boss and myself are then only ones left. We have to have someone here until five as the time of operation states on our business cards and PSAs. Someone has to be here. I expect the boss to leave before 5:00 leaving only me, ‘alone again naturally’.

Lunch was really strange in the city today. It’s always seems strange to me to be in the city the day before a major holiday. I took a late lunch and I noticed the building were emptying as upper management and bureaucrats began to disappear for the holiday. Since my batteries have become so unpredictable I rolled up to the train and took the train round the corner to the mall to see what was available. I have hankering for some Long john Silver’s. But I had not counted on the construction going on downtown. The sidewalk I needed to get to the accessible entrance to the mall was blocked off my construction stuff. It’s beautiful today but cold as heck, I had taken off without my gloves, I was cold so, So I started a bee-line back to the office. Knowing I still had to drop off my weekly letter to my Mom, I knew I would be passing the downtown Carl Jr’s and I figured I would stop by and snag a burger or something. It may have been my imagination but the streets seemed to have been taken over by the homeless even on the train there were homeless guys sitting on the seat facing me. Many of these hobo looking guys were carrying a huge frozen Butterball turkey. There were lugging round huge 20 pound or more frozen rocks of turkey protein with a dazed look on their faces as if they had won the lottery.

Even if the hobo had the skills how would they cook their bird? Maybe they would stand on the corner, like scalpers, and offer the turkeys to last minute shoppers looking for a deal—perhaps they were planning on letting their bird thaw and then tonight cruising the fast food joints near the liquor store and get a couple gallons of grease and deep fat fry their bird tomorrow in Pioneer park or just maybe they are using their bird o parley their way into an invitation to a family who would trade cooking the bird and the rest of the meal to this provider for his bird. Maybe they just took the birds because the birds were free…and when you are broke and down and out you take anything free and figure out what to do with it later.

No comments: