Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Weak!


This is me-an Americian turkey!

People are returning to the office. The boss returned from vacation last night and Marsha returned this morning too. The sounds of an office are filling this office again, copy machine grinding out copies and actual people to send phone calls to people dropping by to see the director. I am glad I was here when the boss got in yesterday—straight in from the airport. I sort of think Marianne was going to pick her up but Marianne’s daughter was sick leaving the boss to cab in from the airport. So there are three of us in today ad two out and I sense or I think I sense the boss beginning to grind her teeth.

The official word from the University Rehab Center is that I am out of visits, insurance visits that is. I am sure the Rehab Center would love to have me if I just rolled in and plunked hard American cash-soft as it is. Today was to be the first of my two weekly visits, at three o clock, actually the visit is at four but I must leave by three to take the train up the hill to make it by my 4:00 pm appointment. I actually emailed my therapist yesterday and this morning when I had not received a reply. I finally got a reply a few minutes ago which basically said “ see you in January”. This is cool with me I think we had progressed far as we cold go for right now. I also think we were beginning to tire of each other. I was also getting nervous at the amount of medical leave I was using. Even though I have the ‘ sick leave’ to burn I hate being away from the office and the phones as much as this dip into rehab has demanded that I be. Hopefully, if and when, I re-enter rehab after the first of the year I will have someone else hired who can cover the phones for me when I leave the office.

Finally, today is Election Day and my dirty little secret is I did not vote! I have some great excuses which include, they moved my polling place and I have not found the new, I cannot find my voter registration card, my wheelchair van is broken, the train caught fire this morning and this election is a small election. We have only one referendum and nothing much else to consider. Dianne said she would find the polls and vote or both of us. I cannot believe it how much I am noticing those quirky little badges they peel off their giant roll, at the election hall, and past on your shirt when you come out of the booth and you let em do it with a huge Gomer Pyle grin, proud as Pete that you did your duty. The first time sense Dianne and I got married. What this means I cannot say except that I am a poor American today. I did not do my duty an I guess I am just going to have to live with that.

No comments: