Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving Break

Thanksgiving was surprising great. I was a bit of a mess as the hour scheduled for the dinner approached(12:30) and people began to arrive on time and we were still putting dishes into the oven for cooking. I had been up since six and helped Dianne prepare the bird and throw the beast into the oven. A smaller beast this year not even twenty pounds but, I insisted large enough to feed the twenty family members who had RSVPed. I had made the coffee, cried threw chopping of onions and celery and I was doing fine. Dianne was upbeat committed to enjoying the experience this year. We were having just immediate family, two generations Dianne, myself, our offspring and our two granddaughters—is that three generations? So three generations. Just my family, no mom or dad person, brother or sisters, aunts or uncles or cousins just my family and the event was good. We had enough food, pie and Kristy’s red jello. Aunaka had made a great game the whole family was able to play and enjoy. Jasmine and Mark brought a game offspring we did not get round to playing: Killer Bunnies. We want to get the whole family together again so we can play Jasmine’s choice.

Perhaps the best part of the afternoon was that all the kids washed the dishes freeing Dianne or me from the task. True, we had made a point to use as much disposable as possible. Paper china and plastic cups we had but I also thought we had plastic eating utensils—we did not. So there was a pile of pots and pans and silverware. Even with starting the meal at 12:30 pm and shooting to get people fed and out as soon as possible we finally got the last of the guest out round 4:30. The afternoon had been great visiting had taken place, real interaction and the dishes done and garbage taken out we were left lone. Dianne went down for a nap and I watched a video.

Friday I stayed home from the office. I cannot say I did anything productive but play round in my computer room and try to build my courage to format my laptop. I have been working on a project all weekend to take all my bank statements I have received since I resumed banking about ten years ago and put these statements in order and three hole punch them and place them in binders. I did it. I must still have a pile of these statements some where but I got all I had punched , sorted and stuck in a binder. I have to admit I learned a lot about myself and how I have spent money the past decade.

Yesterday I actually ventured out and shopped for groceries. I have yet to consider Christmas shopping. There has been so much discussion regarding Black Friday I am going to wait till at least December before I do any shopping just out of spite.

I cannot put it off any longer. I better go and format my drive…wish me luck.

No comments: