Thursday, November 08, 2007

So Long Marianne




Marianne is leaving! She came in to my office the first of the week right after she informed my boss, that she was leaving at the end of the month. I have to admit I usually I really am only marginally interested when fellow employees decide to move on one way or another but with Marianne leaving I suddenly start feeling wave of anxiety, separation anxiety.

Marianne has been on board in our office for about two years. I don’t think I was too hot on her when she first came on board. She seemed arrogant, controlling and possibly condescending. But Marianne worked, very hard. Even though she was a pain in the butt sometimes the effort she put in on the office made a major difference. Marianne really does not get mad and we have folks in our office who sometimes can get under your skin but I have not seen Marianne

Really blow her top like I have with other front desk people. Marianne

actually has real negotiating skills, she is not frighten of drug crazies zombie street people who wander into to our office from time to time.

Marianne has a naivety which serves her well in communicating with state division heads, executive directors, consumers with developmental disabilities, their staff and parents. Marianne is also always learning—I think this is what I like best in the woman’s make up. there have been times when she has not know something, she should have known coming into this position. I can tell this from her questionsand mistakes she will make over and over. However, she will doggedly find the answer and become the office authority on this particular area.

So we are back to square one at the office and the boss and I both sorta feel that it will be along time before we find someone who can fill Marianne’s shoes.


No comments: