Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Just forgot

The black line on the left side of the image is my course of travel and where that lack line ends is where we collided!!


Thursday I stayed late since I had to close up, everyone was gone leaving on vacation for the four day holiday or just gone. I was in pain too long on the old butt. I had to get home. The train was mercifully quite as I road home reading or trying to read. When I go off the train I immediately headed for home. I may have described this before but when I get off the get off the train at 6400 South and 300 West I have to travel North on 300 West and the first half a block or so has not been developed, there is no sidewalk meaning I am having to roll, facing traffic on the side of the road. Now add to this an undeveloped train commuter parking area. So there are always a handful of commuters who de-board along with me but since they re able bodied they just cut across the tracks and across the 300 West to their vehicles and head for the street where I have to go all the way to the corner an start my home commute along the side of the road. There is also a drive way to 300 West on the North end of this commuter parking area. There is where people heading North from the parking area will merge with Northbound traffic on 300 West.

So Thursday night, I am bundled in my great white jacket with my hood up looking straight ahead, belted in and heading North. It takes a little skill to keep the power chair on the edge of the paved street and keep out of the way of on coming traffic. So I note but do not pay much attention as I approach the drive way from the parking area. I since a care and I can see the highway illuminated in front of me and I figure it is just one of the commuters—now, here I must take responsibility and admit I should have stopped my forward progress and looked for traffic but I did not. I just kept pushing forward. The illumination increased again I figured this was traffic getting ready to merge—no problem and continued on an then I felt a nudge and looked down to see the bumper of a car pushing my the left side of my power chair to the right an I thought, surly now they will see me and stop-the car did not and continued o move forward and I kept being pushed to my right and I then knew she s not going to stop and I was BEING RUN OVER!!! Then I got pissed and all I could think of doing as hitting the hood as har as I could, it was certainly close enough. So I raise my hand and came down as fast and hard as I could. I cannot remember hearing the sound of the impact of my hand striking the hood but it must have worked because the car jerked to a halt and I sped on my way. A second later a car pulled along side of me and a twenty something jumped out asking if I as OK. I nodded I was OK—and I did not hurt anywhere to speak of so I did not engage her further then that. I could tell she was spooked though she had come pretty close to wrecking her holiday weekend and mine too for that matter.

The next day I was sore but I am sure the soreness was from muscle tensing and I am OK now. I just hope this is as close to getting run over again I come in a long while.

No comments: