Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tick, Tick, Tick


Seconds. Life is made up of seconds. There is not better example of this then missing my train into the city by just this morning I seemed to be running late from the minute I woke and found I had over slept by seven or eight minutes and that seven minutes haunted me all the way the to the office where I was a good fifteen minutes late just due to seconds. And it was not just the seven minutes late getting up, it as also the transfer from my manual wheelchair to the power chair and my foot slipped off the foot plate of my jazzy causing me to almost slip to the floor, I hooked my arm round the back handle of the power chair and muscled myself back into me power chair but that seemed to take for ever and like totally drained myself of energy. Even drained I crawled into my huge white coat , grabbed my back pack, watch cap and glove and headed out the door trying to make time. As I passed the ancients I noticed they had not picked up their newspaper from the drive way so I grabbed the paper and threw it on their back porch and used the bumper of Al’s pick up to push myself up straight in my chair. Then I shot out the driveway out on to the street, seconds, ticking seconds. I was on the street heading to the corner when I realized I had not strapped in. Yes, I am strapping in all the time now, especially since I was thrown out of my chair this Christmas season and it two guys and a hernia to get me back into my chair. So I blew another five minutes if not longer trying to 1) find my safety belt and two freeing my safety belt from the tangle of my chair and finally secure myself in to the chair and be on my way but all the time seconds, seconds adding to minutes.

By the time I got to the train stop my regular train had left the station and the next train had also just barely left. I was going to have to wait at least another ten minutes before the next train would come. As I was sitting another passenger who it seems also missed the same train approached me and started a conversation about having to wait for the next and how that will make her being late will make her miss the heavy rail train up North to her job. We talked she was nice, we talked about disability, she is a recreation therapist. Then my stop came and she asked the question, “would you like to make extra money?” “ Sure who wouldn’t” and then she thrust a card into my hands as I drove my chair off the train at my stop. The card read something about Teambuilders when I got to the office I r an the information through Google and found this organization was just another front for Amway—I did not think Amway was even still round, but Amway what kind of person does that to a stranger? Amway. I cannot believe I got Amwayed. My multi-level sensors must be getting old like me. I am usually pretty good at staving these kind of vampires off.

1 comment:

Camelia said...

Ha ha, ya... raves are the best. I've had this unreasonable urge to dance all the time - I danced the entire month of December and I've been dancing ever since I got back to Chicago. Can't make the beat stop.......................