Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Time To Saw

My old 10 inch sawthat I have had nestled in a wheelbarrow, I have thought about using this shot mate but why not get the beautiful brand-new saw?


I am a fairly patient person, in fact I have often joked perhaps the most poignant lesson at spinal cord injury has bequeathed me is patients. As a person who is quadriplegic I have spent the last 40 years rely on other people to do things for me I cannot do for myself. I am blessed that a majority of the needs I have had I have been able to satisfy independently. This is no small thought for a person with limited hand function and no ability to stand our walk. But still there are things that I could not do myself most specific is moving stuff around, stuff that ends up in my computer room our stuff that ends up in my garage which is the same as my workshop. As any of you readers know I do try to work with wood. I love working with wood even though my skills are significantly limited. I can make sticks I love to make sticks, and sticks as you know, I used to cancel low-tech assistive technology or a grabber. And let's just say that I have needed my garage to bring these projects to pass but the last couple years the garage has been filled with all kinds of stuff.

This summer, with my conclusion of my one day a week volunteering at 211 has really been my first summer of retirement. If I had access to my wood shop I believe I would've spent a lot of time in that shop working on hooks. That alas did not happen but I can tell you now that it is about to happen. Even if I don't get access to my whole garage I have decided to clean off one part of my work bench so I can at least access my vices and some of my woodworking tools. I also plan to set up my Workmate outside of the garage and work with but would out there if and when the weather permits. I've taken a stand that I will no longer let anything stand in the way of my sticks.


Mark Anthony came over a couple weeks ago at my bidding and was able to give me a couple hours of time to help organize the garage and my workbench. We did not get as much done as I would've liked but we did clean off the end of the workbench, and Mark Anthony also was able to get me down a couple of pieces of Longwood that I used to cut into sticks. This is enough to get me going. Earlier this week I also was able to get my table saw out of the back of the garage and to a point where it may be usable. The tablesaw is a small Sears 10 inch saw that I keep in a wheelbarrow. The setup is low to the ground but fairly stable and I've been fairly safe over the years using this saw to rip wood. This setup is not safe I am the first to admit that however it's all that I've got right now. Now this may change as well. Dianne has always been concerned after my safety with the use of my Sears saw. She is encouraged me to upgrade my saw but I have been dragging my feet. I have done some searching online and found a beautiful contractors 10 inch saw by Porter Cole sold at Lowe's. The cost $299! This is overkill for what I need better be so nice to have a saw system it's easy to move and safe to use. Dianne says I need this I can't say that I need this but I can't say I would like this and maybe I deserve this at this point in my life.

No comments: