Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Lunch Date



I had lunch today with Darren. Darren is a bloke I first met when I was working/volunteering at 211 Information Referral. I believe I've labored the point before that 211 is affiliated with United Way . United Way is a slick operation, they do good deeds and United Way is staffed with beautiful and talented people. Darren is one of those beautiful talented people.

Darren's cubicle was on the way to my workstation, I was intrigued that Darren was often in his space ready to work when I would get tell to work and I was intrigued I was always early getting to work and started talking. Now, you have to understand the fish in 211 are different, much different than the fish found in the United Way tank space and I believe I intrigued Darren as much as he intrigued me.we then talked at one point about getting together off the clock but alas, that never happened. And since I started volunteering for the 211 advisory board I began crossing paths with Darren once more and we decided that we should follow through and meet on the “outside”.

We were actually supposed to have this lunch last week but I got bumped by a another operative and moved the lunch date to this week and eventually today. An almost perfect day, semi-overcast with threats of thundershowers. A perfect day to be out on the tarmac. I got to the restaurant quite early and I cruised the area checking out old haunts and new builds an waited—finally at the agreed time I moved to the front of the establishment and waited. At five minutes past an no Darren I cool, a lot can happen—there are many way to be late. I was not carrying my cell today I did not charge the machine last night. I could not call to make sure everything was ok and online. But, another couple of minutes and suddenly Darren zoomed up on his bike and all was cool actually Darren was cool I was just long for the ride having lunch out in the city just like the big kids.

We ate out on the sidewalk under a city tree. The 1200 o clock lunch rush had just erupted, office workers oozed out onto the walks like lava, our server hoovered bringing ice water and coke trying to get an order out of us. But we were slow, talking to much and catching up and forging new bonds. We finally ordered salad and steak kabobs, seriously better then I anticipated. We talked about the recent dead and how glad, those dead were not us. We were/are not ready to die just yet, even though I am retired. I had to be careful and mindful I am retired where Darren is still part o the work force an as such, still subject to the clock, he can be late but not too late, after all his is a pretty good job and he knows it. The hoverer came by on last time collecting dishes and leaving the tray for the credit cards, we went dutch this time maybe different next time if there is a next time.

Darren waved good by as he mounted his cool bike and sped away to the big building where he works. I headed toward the train platform—I still had to go to the bakery to get rolls for dinner, I promised I would.



No comments: