Sunday, August 31, 2014

Quail Gangs Of The Street



We live a couple blocks off of State Street here in Murray, this is great for me, a person who uses a power chair for mobility. If I've got the power I am able to just hop in my chair and drive up to State Street and get coffee or pizza or even do some light shopping at ShopKo which is across the street on State. Last night Dianne made a great chicken burrito casserole. She just thrown the casserole in the oven and I decided I needed some form of cookies for later on in the evening when we might watch a few videos. So off I went.

I wandered up the streets to State Street, crossed the street in the new construction area and head off to ShopKo. Saturday night at ShopKo is kind of sad, I think I counted four staff at least at the store and now's probably two more bodies than who is their shopping. I wandered up and down newly stocked aisles of Halloween materials. Costumes, makeup and literally tons of candy. Wandered over to the electronics section, dug through the bins of $4.99 videos to see if there were any treasures I needed . I found a couple of movies and a couple packages of cookies and headed home. I cut through a neighborhood of post-World War II homes on the way to my house, these are nice brick two and three-bedroom homes with nice yards. Is a quiet neighborhood safe to drive your chair down the middle of the road as I usually do. I was quite pleasantly surprised when I turned the corner and I noticed a great number of Quail Crossing the road. As I looked closer I noticed there were more Quail than I usually see crossing the road , there is a huge number of birds. We have a family or two of quail in our neighborhood but we must have more predators in our neighborhood because I never see more than three or four adult quail at a time. In the spring I can see lots of small quail families but they must die off as the summer goes on. These quail families seem to be huge. Whole clutches of eggs must've hatched with just few casualties over the summer. As I watched I grabbed my tablet and decided I would film as much as I could. I took a couple minutes of film and was surprised to see my end result. I enjoyed the footage of quail running back and forth but I watched more and more I saw an actual battle going on between what seemed to different coveys of quail. I was fascinated with this small snippet of animal kingdom. I was also impressed with how came the two coveys seem to be. I slowly motored by chair forward as far as I could before the Quail would run but they never ran they just sort of got out of the way. I wish I had a zoom feature on my tablet camera. I uploaded the video to my Facebook account and I noticed that the youtube quality of the video was was less than watching the raw video.


The video was a nice ending to a nice Saturday night. Glad I was there to see this small event of the universe. Check it out, enjoy.

No comments: