Thursday, January 31, 2019

Everything Counts In Equal Amounts

Big brother cool guy!


You know that moment 1957 that sticks in your brain for ever? The evening could could have been July or that evening could have been August, sitting in the front room of our farmhouse there in Boise Idaho. The time was about 9 o'clock of course it was dark but I was hanging out with my older brother (hanging out meaning we're in the same room together) he was listening to the radio. He was a teenager in 1957 probably around 15 and he was sketching. He sketched a lot he was an artist, oh,my brother is still alive, but he never became the artist that I wish he had.

I thought my older brother was the coolest. He lived in a trailer outside our home there in South Boise in 1957. It seemed he'd been at the farm all summer. This one of the longest periods I remember him staying at the house with the boy see family.(I just spent a good half an hour searching for a quote that I'm sure that I wrote about how my a older brothers sisters are always leaving for their other families but I could not find the reference). Kind of weird but after that summer my brother kind of vanished for six or seven years. He joined the Army, almost got sent to the Bay of Pigs, got married and so on and so forth. But for that one moment, this morning as I was laying in bed I was caught up in a whirlwind of thought time our time thought was the way to a hot summer evening in 1957 the radio was blowing in the background like a Stephen King novel and I watched in wonder as my brother made marks on paper.

From the wayspace I understand time flow, that moment still exists somewhere on the time flow. Time is just there like a giant river. 1957, 1955, 1963, 1966, 1976 and on and on and on all key points of my life. It's not that I intentionally flick to those points, I can do that kind of but what's best is the just be existing and all the sudden a time snap occurs in for a brief moment of your time flow becomes crystal clear in your mind and I can experience that moment almost as clearly as the day that I initially lived that moment. These time warps are fun for me however I guess I would not want to spend all my time jumping from point-to-point. And perhaps that's best like good wine/good liquor/good tobacco too much of a good thing dulls the census. Warping back in time too often takes the edge off the specialty of the first time. The book am currently reading is kind of fun, it's the last of the trilogy the authors very good at writing about the near past. The large part of this book is dealing with an individual working in the White House during the Kennedy administration of the middle 60s. It's really quite good and I love dipping into the volume and surround myself in the feeling of the 1960s regardless of the pain and the sorrow this time elicits because for all the pain and sorrow there is joy and pleasure in equal amounts.

No comments: