Sunday, January 27, 2019

Winter's Day A Bleak And Cold January…



I've just been reviewing posts for last week and I cannot believe I did not write about what I thought was a fairly significant event. I guess it really isn't unless it's happening to you/me. But remember I had a bunch of meetings last week that I had to catch the bus for in the snow was everywhere? But and I cannot clearly remember if it was the meetings on Wednesday or Thursday but on one of those days I had actually been able to get (by rolling down the center of the street since the streets are always cleared of snow first) the bus stop almost directly across the street from my apartment complex. There's an Arctic Circle fast food joint there and a bus stop. I was rather pleased with myself to be honest. I'd even consulted the route schedules to be sure to get to the bus stop not too soon so I wouldn't have to suffer the cold too long. I was pleased when I got situated that I looked up and there was a bus airing right down on me. I rolled out to the sidewalk expectedly and then I can see the bus driver, a redhaired woman, looking the other way. I thought this was strange and then I realized she wasn't going to stop! So I start doing the mad Mark wheelchair stomp a flailing my arms and screaming at the top of my little lungs, knowing that's not going to do any good. In fact I can see she was so invested in looking the wrong way that she did not want to look the right way. I just had a feeling.

To me there is nothing more frustrating than being passed up by a bus. It's not only a slap in the face and humiliating even if there is nobody there to witness your humiliation. There's nothing I can do, the bus is gone like a lifetime, and it's not coming back at least that bus. Luckily, Redwood Road has 15 minute headways during the day so it's never like you have to wait very long for the next vehicle but still I was passed. I felt the cold fingers of winter begin to rake it's icy fingers across my skin. I fluff up the color of my jacket and pull my head is deep in as I can, turtle like, and begin working my cell phone finding the number the Utah Transit Authority's customer service. I sense the redhead driving the bus I missed or past me by was okay but still I feel she chose to pass me by for whatever reason. She may have been late I can appreciate that but you don't pass somebody by just because you're late. I got a hold customer service gave them as much information as I could. I don't know what it's going to do and I'm sure at some point in time I'm going to get the redhead and I don't know she'll remember who I am – – I hope she doesn't but the same time I hope she'll remember that little guy in the red jacket on the side of the road by a real bus stop she chose the past by on a cold winter day.

No comments: