Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Board Meeting




I hate to be such a focused boob but that's what I am and I think for those stalwart readers of this blog you just have to bear with me for the next couple of days while I work through this cold snap. And sometimes what I think is cold is not really cold just dark and gloomy and winter. Well, my little self-imposed vacation was over today as I committed to do whatever I need to do to get to my DRAC meeting down at the Housing Authority. The meeting was at 1:30 PM and I was going to try to get some other business done before heading down to the meeting.


Since I planned to take the 200 into the board meeting I figured I would only have time to stop at Best Buy and have somebody the electronics department look at my small handheld Samsung 7 inch tablet. Since I could not access my regular bus stop I figured I would catch the bus at the stop preceding my regular stop. This stop is at a little strip mall just south of my apartment complex I can usually get to the sidewalks because the parking lots are usually plowed pretty well as is the street. As I suspected none of the sidewalks really had been shoveled so the bus stopped south of my regular bus stop was not available but I could get halfway between these two, right in front of my coffee shop was cleared off enough that the bus could load be. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to alert customer service that I want a courtesy stop in this area. The girl/woman I spoke with was super friendly really wanted to assist but was a little slow on the uptake. I finally advised her and she notified the next bus coming down the pike and actually it worked and he stopped mid-block and picked me up.

I wish had taken more time to find someplace to eat because I was running late by the time I got to the board meeting. Luckily I had jerky and stuffed in a baggie and sunk into my backpack. I had enough. The meeting was fairly well done I was semi-impressed. With the passing of the great Barbara Toomer maybe DRAC will just survive after all. There's a lot of chatter at this meeting about the next big function in Washington DC. I advised them last meeting I was not going to any DRAC functions in DC because I don't not appreciate the way the adapters get treated by adapt staff – – I'll have to do a blog about my reservations as far as being DRAC active/or ADAPT active. I listened with interest as we discussed financial issues at the meeting. I am quite impressed with the treasurer – – not just because he openly likes me – – who is really pressing home some strong fiduciary techniques and seems to be being accepted by the folks especially the executive director of the board.

The last of January 1 February is going to be busy with the legislature in session as we try to press home the need for home option living for people with significant disabilities. This weekend I will have a training session for the 211 training and then the coin week will be training for other events that DRAC will be pushing. So I will be busy it seems like and that's good I think that's what I wanted. Hopefully I'll be useful.…

No comments: