Monday, January 14, 2019

Protect Me From The Light


I don't know quite where to begin. I think I've mentioned a couple times recently about wanting to start a project documenting some of the ancients living at the building where I reside. A really anticipated up project similar to what I did with Utah DD Council where I interviewed different directors and managers for Utah state agencies and private nonprofit organizations that serve people with disabilities or their families. That was an easy project to sell to directors and such folks who have egos large enough to want to display it everywhere sort of corporate exhibitionism at its finest. I really thought I would have no issue with offering the same kind of opportunity here at the apartments. I just want a simple interview podcast resulting in an online document highlighting the individual I'm interviewing. Peace a cake easy peasy right? Boy! Did I get that wrong.

There are couple folks/residents here at the apartment complex that I'm somewhat excited at having the opportunity to ask some questions regarding their lives. My problem has been getting my own ass off the ground high enough to start asking people to consider spending a few minutes with me in developing a online presence focusing on them directly. I'm considering the standard group of questions no more than 10 (to start) that will focus on my person. Hopefully this will render a document of 30 to 45 minutes. I have learned from experience the difficulty with trying to do an hour interview. So today, I don't know why I'm so motivated but I am, I decide that I'm going to start the process. I was holding out for a couple of the women in our facility who I think are very interesting and will make great subjects but it's really kind of hard to get a hold of them they seem to be busy all the time, which is why there make such great guests. I've written about My friend, before the guy who lives above me, in fact I think I have a picture of him in one of the blogs couple months ago. Steve in my estimation was frail and a great person start with because I don't know how much longer he's got to be around – – I mean seriously I'm the one who could roll in front of a bus or train tomorrow – – primarily selfishly because he's right there right above me and I figured easy access – – wrong!

I knew there was going to be a risk but somehow I really felt that Steve would be flattered and willing to go on some time about himself and his life. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm going on three years at this facility and only the last two months that I had a working phone number for this guy. Before I've just “beamed” up and pounded on the door most the time catching Steve unprepared having to wait probably gets himself put together. I should really understand this since I'm usually naked run around my apartment but luckily no one ever found on my door. So with a working phone number I can call kind of schedule which I did the day.I gave Steve half an hour and even then had to wait 10 or 15 minutes once I got there knocked on the door. We yammered for a little bit then I got down to business. I knew this guy was going to dance around the ecclesiastical references, examples and innuendo but I wasn't prepared for the amount. First off, I felt like I had saddled a runaway horse once I started trying to tell my neighbor what I had in mind. He started throwing up the most bizarre reasons/excuses why he probably could not be interviewed. It took me a few minutes to realize for this was going and to figure a way to get out of the situation without having to damages feelings. I had to work very hard on my dark side not to attack his deep-seated evangelical, magical, ecclesiastical exclusivity. It was getting pretty strange even for me a person brought up with a lot of charismatic religious leanings. I finally had to exit almost forcibly from his apartment.

So I doubt my neighbor is not going to come through for me. Which is a shame because I think you'd be a great first interview. I of course advised him to consider my offer and if he should change his mind he's more than welcome to contact me to set something up but sadly I think he'll be translated long before then…

No comments: