Monday, January 28, 2019

Medicaid Expansion Rally





Things are getting busy and I think I like that. It's cold and uncomfortable out there riding the service. I spent a major part of the day at the Utah State capital building for a rally supporting Medicaid expansion here in Utah. Rallies are actually fairly benign but to get out of the apartment with the possible good story to tell was enough for me to sentient my legs pull out the black blanket to put over my legs and lap and who knows will never knows who are what one might run into doing the public good.

The rally is slated for 2:30 PM in the dome of the capital building however when we were setting up
DRAC's participation in this event we decided to meet in the Capitol cafeteria around 2 o'clock. This will allow folks who didn't get a chance to eat as well as those who want a place to meet and discuss the upcoming rally as well go over some basic DRAC business. I actually said like the cafeteria because being on public transit and having to take Route 500 I want to make sure that I would be able to be there on time. I figured I'd be late to the DRAC function but that's okay I don't mind that I would still be there in time for the Medicaid rally itself.

By the time I left for the rally the sun had come out new though the temperature was a bit low but being in the direct sunshine, the radiant energy felt good and I felt good. I just had to be there at the rally, easy duty. I took Route 500 take me a lot of time to be converted to 500 but really is the best route to get the capital building. I always have an issue remembering just the best place to catch the bus specially when the origin point is not functional and is not identified as such. Didn't want to have to end up running all over hell's half acre trying to find find a bus stop.

The rally was a huge song and dance. He must've had seven speakers the event went on and on and on. It was only an hour but the event seemed like so much longer. Trying to do anything like this in the domed Capitol is reduced is ridiculous. For me anyway it's nothing but garbled sound. I was unimpressed with how many folks had showed up for this event. I was pleased to run into a couple of old friends enjoy doing the “people watch" thing.the pre-rally meeting was okay if not uneventful. We went over a document Executive Director had put together which is pretty good. We're going to have to use this document to get our elected officials as well as folks in the community with political power to help with the national legislation regarding community integration challenge. And of course the Executive Director is all hot and heavy for some actions the sooner the better. I tried to be animated and part of this overall discussion but I just held back let things play out.

So I guess it was a good operation today and for me a great reason to be out and be active in the community again. But it looks like I'm going to be very active the rest of this week at least. There is another event tomorrow same time same place and yet another event later on in the week. And perhaps best of all I've engaged one of my old home health attendants to do some cleanup around my apartment on Friday everything's under the table I feel so criminal.


No comments: