Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Assist, Inc. at 50!




Friday is the Assist, Inc. Holiday open house. The “Christmas” party nomenclature vanished a decade or so ago as everything had to be nonsecular, nondenominational and politically correct. I sit on the citizens advisory board to this organization. The fancy name just means we sign off on all the work which is done as a protection against impropriety. I believe for one second in the importance of the work that I do. It's important yes that the group meets and that we sign her name and date and what work was approved on the document when it is our turn but the bottom line the works only been done we're just backtracking making sure everything is in place, and correct in case this ever an audit of this little bitty private nonprofit that helps a few people along the Wasatch front.

Of the members of the group I'm one of the longest participating members. I got onto this (really close readers will I other posts highlighting my history with this organization but I'll briefly go over it again here) may be 30 years ago are 40 it's hard to say. As a person with a disability representing an organization of folks that serve folks with disabilities I was often asked to be on these volunteer boards and advisory groups. We met every Tuesday , there were about five of us all together. I've gone through three directors And though tedious at times of always enjoyed my time with this organization.

The leader of our small group is David Woodman is the housing director at this program. David is a lifelong Salt Lake native is paid rough around the edges when I first met him. David's a biker, an older biker now that's for sure, like all of us he's mellowed but he still has two bikes day ride was the summer. When I first met David bespoke Chesterfield cigarettes, in fact the Cano got me smoking Chesterfield cigarettes for a while. They still make them. Non-filtered tubes of death that delight to use. I can say he was a hard drinking guy like I said he's mellowed. He doesn't drink anymore nor does he smoke Chesterfield's. He's the original and one of the original employees of the organization. He is weathered all the changes of the organization fairly well, he's been looked over the past over for promotions But like me he just kept showing up for work in many cases better have a place to work.

I've not really boycotted the Christmas/holiday functions I've attended quite a few over the years but missed most. There always Friday evenings from 3 to 7 PM roughly. It's always cold brisk and sometimes snowy. There's not much parking at the building and when I drive my van and pushing it was almost impossible to find a parking place and role to the office after dark. Now that I don't have a van I rely on public transit and I have a power chair so I don't really have an excuse except that it's late (for me anyway) and after dark and I don't like being out after dark on cold winter nights. This year however it's the 50th anniversary of the organization of the company. I kind of feel I need to be at this one. So hopefully today will be low key. I have occupational therapy in the morning and then I'll head over to the open house by 5 PM. They have the event catered now. The new director is a Mormon so this know hard liquor like they used to be wine will still probably be served. The event will be catered which means cold cuts or turkey are both. The same people show up year after year so it's sort of family. It's kind of fun to see everybody. A lot of city, County and State folks show up as well as other private nonprofit orgs which service folks with low income. It's nice , has a Waltons feel. I never stay long. I don't schmooze well. Even though the event ends at 7 PM and staff are anxious to get out of there it feels much later and I just want to be on that southbound train safely headed home…





No comments: