Friday, December 13, 2019

Getting Physical

I really thought today was going to be the last meeting with my occupational therapist Nikki especially after last week's session. I really got the impression that she wanted to be done with me and move on. I and the other hand really didn't care what we did I just want to use up by hours I had coming to me via my insurance. Today, was pretty interesting to me. We worked on the physical aspects of myself. Essentially we worked on the weight machines there at Tosh. I chose not to do the arm bike they have just because I'm so vested in my system here at the apartment. We tried to use the rickshaw to have their which I suppose is pretty good – – it's prettier than mine but not as good as mine I don't think. I learned quite a bit however. Nikki drilled into my head is not about the major left it's about a controlled left of many reps with less weight which kind of makes sense and certainly is less threatening than gut busting hundreds of pounds on the rickshaw. I like lifting heavier weights but Nikki is in the Riser M.D. Regarding my shoulders. Nikki not only is worried about my cuff s but my whole body particularly by spinal cord! I didn't pay much attention to her at first but she was so adamant it really is given me pause. Good bad or indifferent Nikki continues to be impressed with me which totally fuels me of course. She's open to exploring options physically but I might be able to pursue in the next year. As of this morning, I had two more visits this year on my insurance: next Friday and the Friday after that. It sounds like for going to use these times/hours to develop some sort of a physical plan for me to continue to strengthen and build endurance. She's most interested in me doing some more art stuff which is okay by me. However, I don't know how much I want to get back into the academics. I just want to do. We'll see what happens so come January and the new semester. I guess I sort of slipped and made the mistake and showing her my kata forms. I went through what I remembered of my basic kata she was totally impressed I hadn't thought about this in a long time. I actually used to do a Karate workout Every Saturday morning there and Blackfoot. I enjoyed it. Granted I was in a manual chair at the time trying to do that in a power chairs a whole different ball ask might be good to get back into the manual chair if I can. Anyway I got the impression that Nikki would really be open to me exploring options of the martial arts and adaptive training. Perhaps more exciting to me was the possibility of utilizing the swimming pool at Tosh. I guess I'd heard they did have a pool but it really think about being able to use that pool. However, I think I might. The only problem is how do I get in and out of swimming suits and such. These are things I have to contemplate in the back of my mind am wondering if it would be with pain somebody 23 bucks a session to dress me after the fact. But I kind of think exposure to swimming would be the best thing for me and so does Nikki. Lots to think about and lots to explore this last few weeks of December…

No comments: