Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Going My Way?



I feel I did everything right—as right as a 68-year-old man somewhat befuddled in general can do something right. But I thought I cover the main points the biggest of which is I use a wheelchair, a big wheelchair with a motor on it for mobility. It's not a big deal but you think it would be something crucial for mobility company to be aware of. In the post yesterday I a somewhat briefly went over the fact that I was going to try the new Via, right on demand, system that Utah transit Authority is testing in the South and the Valley. Salt Lake. Now I'm going to go out of my way not to paint this as me being the martyr but I want to report a factual account.

The day is not half bad, the sun was shining but it was cold so I dressed accordingly. A warm jacket and a flannel blanket wrapped around my legs and a hat. I timed the buses from the schedule so I didn't have to wait too long and the elements. I tried to leave early but as things go I left about an hour and 10 minutes before my appointment. I caught my bus southbound And made it to the transit station in fairly good time still I didn't know how long it would take to catch the via vehicle once I got to the end of my route to 18 ride at about 11400 South Redwood Road. So I decided I would just drive my chair into the shop.

After it finished by business at the wheelchair shop I contacted Via, not bear in mind I went to the steps of not only contacting the organization/company but going through the process of registering and downloading the app for the program. I figure that pretty much touched all the bases. Actually the apps system is kind of cool if it really works. Took me a bit to understand. Since you registered with the organization it knows who you are and where you're at. You start your trip by confirming where your pickup point is, and of course they have that data because they've got you located by your cell phone coordinates, then you have to put new destination and what you've done that and the computer or whatever has everything set up you push the button that says confirm and it books here ride and charges your checking account/bank account or however you have it set up. It gives you the time expected which is about 3 ½ minutes which I was totally shocked. The computer also alerts your cell phone when you write is outside. That was the first red flag the ride was not outside it was way across the street which is a Big St., Redwood Road, the driver had the wrong address for some reason. I noticed this when I hit the confirm button and I thought it was just a computer glitch – – obviously it was – – I got counted as a no-show. I did flag the driver down and finally he saw me waving my arms frantically in my red jacket. He came over the shocked that I was in the power chair he said he didn't have means the transport me. So of course I'm on the phone talking to Via control who informs me that somehow the information that I was in a power chair was not entered into the system. The person then did enter in that information in three minutes later another vehicle shows up. It's another Mercedes-Benz type vehicle. It's probably an SUV, smaller than a van that big. The vehicle has no left it has a back and that the driver has to take the rear end sort of a part which opens up an area where you drive chair in and he locks you down, ties you up good. My driver had only five or six words of English down. “Hello Sir, goodbye Sir, how are you sir, I don't know sir,Other than that we are operating on hand gestures. He spoke no English. He seemed like a nice enough guy he was just unfamiliar with transporting a person with a disability. I am writing this off initially as learning curve. The organizations do the concept I guess is new and the bugs are being worked out. Once the driver figured out how to use the system and get me in and out of the back of the vehicle we were good to go. Forget the fact among the end of this variable large vehicle. There's no communication but I get to the place a one to go and that's what it's all about. I'll give the experience and 85% grade. I wish I had more reasons to go to the south end of the valley to try this system out some more. I do think it has potential and I do wish it was being implemented valley wide. The service can really make a difference. The cost of my ride was a dollar each way which is a deal she asked me. At my meeting today you talk Assistive Technology Program I brought up my experience that everyone was interested. They suggested I might contact the authority and volunteer to help them make the system better. I don't know how much I would want to volunteer but it certainly be open to looking at some form of consultation. I mean why not?…

No comments: