Saturday, December 07, 2019

Look At Me I'm Down Here







I don't do well in public functions I've come to realize. I you think is pretty done good at doing the public awareness, mingle schmooze thing but I don't think I have those skills. Perhaps at one time I was a bit better than I am now but now I really know I'm just a wallflower. I went to the Assist function that I wrote about earlier in the week. I don't have a lot of good clothes oh I mean I have clothe which are clean and functional and cover-up all the essential parts. I don't have nice clothes, clothes that you wear to opening-night, parties, funerals, mission farewells etc. I guess I haven't had a need for them really and so I have none some a bit self-conscious when I go to these things. I didn't really worry about the assist, Inc. function because it's in the afternoon late afternoon and many people who contract with Assist to do their work dropped by the office on the way home to have cookies, punch, wine and a few other snacks. So, they don't really expect to the really dress-up though a lot of people do just the same. I tried to come middle-of-the-road. I found a warm ramp to put around my legs that had a winter motif and I wore a fairly decent top, one I rarely wear but found in the back of my closet.

I dawdled All afternoon killing time until it was time to dress up warmly and head into the city for my event. We're close to winter solstice now darkness comes quickly and early in the afternoon. The event started at four however, I got to the library about 4:30 PM checked out the cheap books and wandered around then decided it was time to go to the open house. But try to get in discreetly that David bounded to the door as soon as I tried to handle. There was already 30 people at least in the room. Professionals in their professional close talking to each other smiling, some flushed with beer or wine all handle small plate of veggies, Christmas goodies IE cookies, fudge and the like. I was sort of surprised there are no chips, I love chips. Guess that's what happens when you get things catered. Swedish meatballs, piles of chicken (it's usually turkey I don't know what happened this year). I looked desperately for somebody I know. I can't monopolize Dave to his staff and has to mingle and does a great job. After he thanked me for showing up and directed me to the food line cut it disappears and so do I. It's weird I don't have the sensation as much as I used to maybes because I'm retired and I don't do these events like I used to. But, I got my small plate and backed into the wall and nibbled away. It's odd because some of the people I've worked with fairly closely over the years walk right by me and did not even acknowledge I was there. I'm surprises guys don't trip over me but they don't. I was already wondering how long I have to stay before I can make up the line for the door and head home. The fogs in the city adding to the premature darkness of this December evening. More bodies filter in from the mist. Roger, the director or the previous director of Assist, Inc. finally stops by and we chat a little bit. It was really weird. I was in the middle of telling Roger something and he noticed somebody else and just walked away! I have to admit I was a bit shocked. However think I hit it well mingle can I do.

Truly, I was about ready to leave and this lady would been mingling pretty well, actually walked up to me and started talking. She said she didn't know anybody there, she was somebody's +1 at the event. I'm not totally sure what her relationship is with her host he's a retired architect who it spent part of his life as an instructor up at the University. They were definitely a couple of some sort. Her name is Nancy I believe she's older than me (it's hard to tell) that she was really nice. She wasn't goofy, and she wasn't drunk and it was in the mercy conversation she really wanted to know about me, who I was, what I was doing there and then she told me about her self. She had's professional jobs in the city, have is been in Salt Lake all of her life in fact she is now living in her parents home that she was raised in and the place has ghosts. The places in the avenues as gotta be a great place. And she's right she's not ever going to get rid of it is totally paid for has been since her father died. A nice place to be. She set. She invites me to her partner seems like a nice guy I wonder can I be friends with these people? How would I do that? We end up talking a lot more and longer than anticipated , real party talk. We establish her from the same political party which hates the current political environment. We almost get close to making those comments of we should get together or what we meet sometime but we never do. They asked me if I want more wine, having drank wine for over a year or any other alcoholic beverage I've become a lightweight. I feel like one of those ghosts, spirits who have to take up physical form for one reason or another and have to get back to the ether because maintaining physicality is just to exhausting.

At work by way towards the front door visiting with Nancy and I think his name is Bill. Then wandered off back to the table to get more drinks and I figured this was a good time as any to exit stage left. I know that's rude. I almost got out of the place without anyone noticing – – not that anybody would except my friend David want to make sure I was okay and thanked me for showing up. I assured him I was fine and dandy and I want to get home before the temperature got colder and the night darker. And with that I shook his hand and slid back into the ether…

No comments: